Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Someone stop me refitting my sump foam

Pelico

knowley

I am waiting for the oil pressure data from my data logger to be analised from Corborough will be doing a further sprint in York on the 11th June.

I have spoken to Jason at hellier about this problem and I think that you should do the same. If the baffle does not do what it designed to do then I would home he will sort it out.

David

Hi Susser

I don't know if you saw the 'oil pickup idea' thread http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=83004&pn=2&ps=15&c=

Bricol has seen something on AMC big block that uses the idea. I reckon small high aspect ratio sealed bearings would do the job of pivoting and sealing the pickup freely - they work fine to give crankshaft sealing on model 2 strokes even when they are only shielded one side and do that for hundreds of hours at 18k rpm with sideloads.

Under heavy cornering the oil surface will be at about 45 degrees to the sump bottom so for every 10 mm of sideways movement of the pickup you are dropping it about 7mm further down in the oil so perhaps the amount of sideways movement does not need to be all that big.

David, I did speak to Jason a few weeks ago. He gave me a call back on his return from Greece and he explained to me about the other applications having more room in the sump and therefore he could install the valves at the front and back. He asked me to get back to him after I'd done another airfield day so will be calling him after the bank holiday.

Pelico, maybe the other people aren't using their cars on tracks/airfields/sprints that require such heavy braking into hairpins? I think that a corners like Gerrads @ Mallory the baffle will work very well because you hardly brake.

7 only day @ Mallory - 06/08/05

Caterham R300 Owners Register

My R300 *wink*

Knowley.

Yes. I guess you are right, as it was the hairpin at Keevil and the end of the long straight that I had my worst OP dip.

I would be keen to hear what Jason's advice is. Do blatmail me if you think it best not to post on here.

Best regards. Peter

Don't get me wrong here, but been following this thread with interest, as I decided to go for the Pace dry sump at great expense, instead of the baffle. But if you buy a baffle that is marketed to stop oil surge, then shouldn't it work in every application on every track *confused*

Jason just gave me a call, didn't expect him to be working on a bank holiday *thumbup*

He is very keen to try a few modifications to the baffle. First off he is going to try adding some valves to the back plate to allow the oil to return from the rear of the sump more freely. The front side (where the oil pickup pipe lays) is too small to fit any sort of valve, but he is going to send me a spare that we could drill holes in for an experiment.

I have more airfield days booked already, and plan to try out the new rear plate on one day. And if there is little improvment try a modified front plate, maybe even remove the front plate - although thats not going to keep the oil in the required place it might be the "best of both worlds".

*smile*

Although I have had my baffle in for a while, I only tested it in anger this weekend. My hot idle pressure isn't anything to write home about at 20psi (mechanical guage). Since I have a 35psi warning light I get a bit blase, but at Nantes on Saturday I was seeing marked drop offs on most left handers down to 20 psi and in one place it took a while to recover on the following straight. We are not talking about heavy braking here either, these are flat 3rd gear 90's with no braking involved. Right handers are no problem.

The car is a VVC with an Apollo and the baffle was fitted during a forged piston rebuild so there shouldn't be any ancillary causes. My next trackday is the French one on the Monday after Le Mans and must admit I'm currently edging in a foam type direction. If nothing else its very off-putting and I nearly found myself in the kitty litter a couple of times whilst gauge watching (when I did go in at the end of the kilometre straight it had nothing to do with gauge watching and I might put the baffle in my underpants instead!).

All in all I have never had a car where I was so pre-occupied with the oil pressure reading.

Ian

I remember my chief engineer (aircraft) asking why I'd spent the W/end fitting 'worry' gauges to my first car. "Worry gauges?" I asked. He said yes. If you don't have them you can't worry about 'em. So, imagine no O/P gauge. Engine sounds fine etc and you just track day to your hearts content etc. If only it were that easy eh? *wink*

Edited by - CHRIS CLARK on 31 May 2005 22:58:42