Click here if you are having website access problems ×

X/f upgrade

Simon Horan

Having just spent the day dutifully attending a race meeting (although the maximum horsepower was 1 per unit) and wincing at the frightful cost of what amounted to 4 minutes, the day brightened when I was asked "what would you like to do to the Caterham (that's TO and not IN).

1600 x/f 19k miles, runs like a dream. Aside from chopping it in which, considering its such a buyers market seems dim, what, in the opinion of the level headed, astute and mature (now you know I'm taking the ....) forum would be the best smiles per mile route.

Simon

Just spent around £1500 on re-vamping my xflow. Had it bored to 1700, fitted forged pistons etc.

Its now running like a dream, and at the rolling road this weekend, registered 140 at the wheels.

Great upgrade, myself and a mate did all the work

Sorry, but any ideas that I have are pure guesswork. As such, probably around 2000ukp for the rebuild and a little more for the motorbike engine - depending on how much of the work you do - like removing the old engine.....

If anyone comes up with more accurate figures, then I would be pleased to see them, so that I can start saving sad.gif

Cheers,

Graham

Give RK a call, he will be glad to give you a quote for an engine re-build. Although like any good engineer, his figures will be ball park, and may change once he has stripped the engine.

His quote to me, was around 2.5k assuming no surprises and if I took the engine out myself.

I have just fitted a 2 litre Zetec to my 93 de-dion. The engine nows runs (unbelievably well considering its on x-flow jetting) although the furthest I have driven it is in and out of the garage. I have used fitting parts sourced mainly from James Whiting (Weber Alpha from Roger King) and the total cost including engine but not including cams or 45's (already had these on the x-flow was approx. £2500. The removal of the x-flow and fitting of the Zetec took about 4 hours then several steady part days fitting all the other necessary bits.

It was not a difficult excercise and based on my experience to date one well worth considering.