Click here if you are having website access problems ×

xflow misfire / solenoid problem

Peter R Shaw

I had a misfire at about 5,5k under load .. then the solenoid packed up ( well I think it did) so I replaced it with a new one ( not exactly the same as the last ) from local spares shop.This immediatly rectified the starting problem but made the misfire much worse. I went for a drive today ( to see if anyone had fixed the misfire in my absence) misfire was still there and on my return found that the starter motor was continuosly engaged! disconected the battery , when re connecting the battery the starter motor is still continuosly engaged so I assume the solenoid is no good .So can the solenoid have an effect on the misfire ?? any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated

*confused* *confused*

Road7runner S7S.1.7 X flo here

Edited by - peter shaw on 2 May 2005 21:10:41

Hi Peter, just some thoughts here, it does indeed sound as if the solenoid you bought maybe a bit dickie, but the solenoid needs a feed of electrickery to pull it into engagement to turn the starter motor, so the question arises, is your ignition switch operating OK? do you have some other relay device from the ignition switch to the starter? or some other 12v supply is getting to the solenoid, theoretically once you release the key from the "start" position, then no further supply is available to the starter solenoid, I think the misfire fault and the starter problem could be related, if the starter circuit is allowing a current path to earth, the valuable electrons are being stolen from other circuits, ignition etc, hence a poor performance of the sparks, and misfiring, good clean bright grounding points for the earth returns could make a difference, sorry I can't offer any definate "do this and all will be well" answers, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

thanks for your thoughts Nigel .... there is an extra ...small male terminal on the new solenoid .. which i havent used but that is the only difference between the old and the new one .. so maybe there is a difference inside it too ... will get another today and try it ..unfortunatly I dont think the shop will take the old one back once it has been connected ..

Road7runner S7S.1.7 X flo here