Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Symtoms of a coil breaking down

N Blandin

What are the usual symtoms of a coil packing up?

I've got a miss under load from 5-6K that is doing my head in

Carbs, clean and set

Plug leads checked and tested

New plugs

connections all tested

Any Ideas?

1700 BDR by the way

Nigel,

Jackal is correct. So if you test the coil "cold" it may give the correct resistance, though the coil is on the way out Borrowing a coil as a temp substitute should clarify the issue . So Norman`s request for spec., and a comment on your location may prompt a friendly local sevener to donate his coil to your experiment.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help. The problem dosen't seem to get worse when hot. The motor is a 1700 brd with an ignition system supplied by R.K when he overhauled it 2 years ago.

I'm going to try another coil and will report back.

Just been out to check. The coil is a lucas DCB198 and the system is a Lucas AB14 electronic ignition system. Both were supplied by RK about two years ago although the module did look a bit "old stock" in the box. maybe he was having a clearout before packing up!

Any ideas, I am going to swap the coil to see but how do you check for a duff module?

If you've got a Digital Engine Analyzer (you can get them from mosts motor related shops inc halfords) then you can test the resistance between the +ve and -ve terminals of the ignition coil. Think they're somewhere between £15 and £30 ish...and will contain instructions for such a test

You should do the test when you've been out for a blat and the engine is warm.

David

1700XF: click here