Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Strange....

Ted_7

I've bought my car in Germany as a second hand (I live in Belgium, so apologize my English please, thank you) so I don't know much about the history of the car and I'm not quite sure that the previous owner has been very honest with me. Anyway, I've had that strange noise when the motor was cold, on the first or second gear, at low speed ('round 1500 to 2000 rpm) it sounds like a used belt noise (you know, like a 'screeeeeeeeeeeeep' kinda noise) that disapeared when the motor was at the right temperature. It was not the belt anyway !

Lately, I've decided to change the sparking plugs, I was surprised to find UNIPART sparks instead of NGK (as recommended by the Caterham user's guide), so I replaced the plugs with NGK and then, the noise didn't came back ! I've never thought that sparking plugs might be responsible of that kind of noise ! Anyone here had that kind of situation too ?

Thanx

Se7enly, Ted_7

Edited by - Ted_7 on 27 Oct 2001 11:03:41

Ted , your English is very good. I may be wrong but I feel certain there was no connection between your spark plugs and the screeching noise........I'd still bet it was your fan belt/alternator belt which has gone a bit hard and makes this noise till it warms and softens up. As for plug manufacturers, any of the top makes are more than adequate for most conditions. By the way I've just recieved my new set of plugs direct from Caterham and they were Bosch!!!

Kenny HPC

Could it be that often reported problem on the K of a loose cam cover insert creating a strange and worrying, albeit harmless, noise?

You would obviously have removed this to change the spark plugs and then tightened up the fixing screws afterwards thus removing the cause of the noise. (assuming it is a K series of course)

Just my thoughts.

Brent

Well Brent, I don't think so, because first of all I wanted to change the sparks without having the Caterham manual. So I unplugged one spark (and found out it was that Unipart spark) and tried to find the equivalent spark plug on NGK or Bosh brand, which i didn't. So I've putted the Unipart sparks back in the engine and then the cam cover and the noise was still there. It's after changing for NGK sparks that the noise disapeared.

Se7enly, Ted_7

Every engineer should have engraved above his bench the old latin tag relating to falacious logic - Post hoc ergo propter hoc - or After something, therefore because of that something.

So after you put sugar in your fuel the engine fails, therefore because you put sugar in your fuel tank the engine fails - true.

So after you changed the plugs the noise stopped, therefore because you changed the plugs the noise stopped - true? Maybe but it is not the logical conclusion so look for the coincident cause. Noises at particular engine speeds are often due to resinant vibrations so maybe something is now tighter or looser.