Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine warm up?

yankeedoodoo

In the past 10 years I have twice read in magazine road tests where engineers from the manufacturers when asked by the testers: "should I warm up my car before I drive anywhere?", replied in a not for attribution whisper, "Not if you want the car to go fast when it's older". The first car tested was a corvette and the second was a porsche. I am very interested in any thoughts, opinions, test results or logic others on this forum might care to offer on these statements. I assume the statement applies to post breakin of the motor, although ideas on that subject may also be relevant. Thanks for any wisdom sent along!

This was covered on here recently. Much to my surprise, the concensus was that you DO NOT warm up the car by letting it idle. You get in, start it up, let the oil pressure come up, then drive. Avoid labouring the engine, and likewise avoid high revs, until fully warm.

Check the archives, there was lots of stuff posted.

Well, when I worked for a company that ran fairly large fleets of the same vehicle in the early 90's I used to 'run' my car in carefully etc for the first 600-800 miles (about a week of ownership).Result:- nice quiet, smooth engine. The guys who used to thrash the whotsits off 'em from new always had mechanically noisier cars, but they always went better as well!!!

This applied right up to the two year chop in point of about 90-100,000 miles.

Broadly speaking, it is not good for an engine to run with cold oil. Putting the engine under load (driving it) with cold oil is even worse, BUT although driving with cold oil is not good, it does at least warm up quickly, and this is better than leaving it at idle for ages to get some oil temp.

In other words, whatever you do is not great, but driving immediately is the least worst option. Modern oils are much, much better than they used to be anyway.

I bet someone has an electric oil and water preheater.

I bet you remember the item I saw in an old car magazine recently Mr K!

It was a low profile paraffin heater (of sorts) that you left on over night under the sump to keep the oil warm(ish) and thin enough for the engine starter (hand?) to crank it over. Probably left over from 'Panther' tanks on the Russian front!!!

Remember he says; "Still got one" biggrin.gif

I remember reading that one cold start wears and engine the same as

1 week of continuous hot oil running.... Worse still in winter!

BUT get out there and use your 7's cos you can upgrade the engine for more horses

sooner that way! Plus leaving the poor thing in the garage all winter doesn't do much for the engine either.

Some use a plate warmer popped under the sump an hour before starting for cold days (check with the missus first though).

In Sweden & other cold climates they have immersion heaters in the water jacket at a suitable frost plug location. ~£30 for XF and VX engines, not sure about Zetecs and K's. Not that many Rovers in Sweden......

They work a treat but are a bit OTT for our climate.

steve, apparently, a cold start damages your engine not because of oil warm up issues, but because of the acidity of the gasses produced by the ignition process in a cold engine.

unavoidable.

yours, a student of the dave andrews web school,

j wink.gif

ps if you haven't already, you have to visit dave andrews' site. i forget where it is, but a simple archive search will turn it up...