Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Double declutching into reverse - what's this all about, Alfie?

Myles

sure - if for any reason you can't match the engine speed to the road speed for the gear you are entering there is no point in DD. but so long as you kick the clutch back out the synchro is only having to accelerate the input shaft and clutch driven plate. I had to mod the brake pedal position on my tin top so I could heel&toe it. I've put about 120k on it and the box still feels like new so I think its worth the effort.

Myles

(then it's very likely that the engine-speed has dropped way-too-low and therefore the synchros will take a large battering as the engine is driven back up to speed.) (can't do the line thing)

Don't want to start another argument, but the synchro hubs have done their bit by the time the gear is in position. It's the dogs that take the dragging the engine up to speed load. Innit ?

Hmmm, just had another of them "make sure brain is engaged before operating mouth" moments. Yeah, 'cos the dogs are built into the synchro gear. It's the cones what are redundant by then. Excuse the muffled tone. It's size 10 Air Wair.

Edited by - susser on 27 May 2005 15:34:13