Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Which Broadband ISP?

metal mickey

I'm with Tiscali on their £15.99 1MB package, with a 2GB monthly cap.

The connection has been reliable, but the free USB modems supplied with Tiscali (and most of the other providers) can cause problems with XP. I've bought separate Netgear ADSL modems and routers for both myself and parents - seems to have solved the problem and you get a reasonably robust firewall included with these.

Check out www.adslguide.org.uk - they rate all uk isp's and you can compare them.

I am currently with freedom2surf (www.f2s.com). £22.50 p.m which is expensive but the service is 1st class *smile*

Pipex have a number of good deals at the min also.

It really depends if you want unlimited access or not as to which service would suit you best.

Which ever service you go for i would definitely recommend ordering a 'wires only' service and buying a broadband router separately.

If you have any further questions please feel free to email me.

Adrian

I'm wih Pipex on a £24/month package which has the following features:

- 1MB badnwidth

- Unlimited monthly down load

- free modem and micro filters,

- free webspace

- No minimum sign up period (so if ever you want to change you can)

I think they do a 0.5MB bandwidth for about £18/month

R400 Duratec 230bhp *cool* Build and Modification Pictures here

I've been with PlusNet for the past two years.

I have been very happy with their service and technical support, but I am unsure how they fare on price these days.

As has been said, www.adslguide.org is a very good source of info on this subject.

I'm on Pipex, price was £23.44pm, being reduced to £19.99 from May. 512Kb speed as my phone line can't take 1Mb. Service has been good for the last 2 years, with only the occasional break in service. It suits the family's Apple Macs.

Just moved to TalkTalk ( Carphone Warehouse) after last year with BT. Main reason was cost BT were charging me 27 pounds/month for 512 kps speed + 15 pounds for unlimited landline phone usage + 11 pounds for line rental . The deal I got with Talk Talk was 14.99 /month for 1Mbps + unlimited phone usage (no download limits), still need the BT line rental but still looks a lot better. Seems OK so far with help desk to get set up very helpfull. Time will tell.

Jim the Jock

BRG Roadsport 140 SV

(FJ05 XLE)

I just managed to dump Talk Talk! They took on my BT account without my knowledge ("you must have filled in a questionaire or agreed to a canvasser").

They promised to save me £25 a month so I stayed with them.

The first bill had £45 worth of internet calls "because that number is not free with us, only BT"!!

They then sent the bailiffs to collect money owed from two months before I had an account with them.

The final straw came when they sent me a bailiffs letter to collect an unpaid bill which included several "failed payment" charges due to there being insufficient funds in my Nationwide account. I have never had a Nationwide account.

I still had to pay the bill and the charges because thier files showed they I had filled in a DD mandate with the wrong bank details on it. Which I never *mad* *mad* *mad*

I have bough two mobies from CPW every year for the last 8-9years, but I'm sure I won't again.

Sorry. Rant over.

its only a game.........

http://daftlardycars.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=owelly

• Leadership Team

Sorry, but have to disagree with any recommendation for Plusnet. Have been with them with two years and the quality of service has degraded substantially. I decided to move form them last month, gave notice and moved to freedom2serve - vast improvement despite the same price.

Plusnet are refusing to allow me to 'leave' and keep sending threatening letters demanding payment.

So the moral is - Plusnet are not bad, just do not try to leave them ever!