Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's all the fuss about with Duratec's

edmandsd

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2.3 is definitely heavier than the 2.0. For a start you have an extra 13mm of cylinder block height. More than that, the crank is also substantially heavier, Peter at Raceline gave me the figures once, as well as how much you could shave off the crank.

Unfortunately my memory is crap, so no idea what the numbers are now.

Duratec Se7en SV, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool*

Dave

Have never weighed a 2.3 only a 2 litre. The 2.3 must be heavier. Taller block, longer throw crank with bigger journals, longer rods. It all adds up. Exactly how much I don't know. All I can definately say is that a 2 litre with no flywheel is 87 kilos. I'll weigh a stripped , no flywheel Dura 2.3. Once you start bolting things on the weight goes up very quickly. A fully dressed 2.3 with dry sump is easier to lug around than a Zetec with wet sump. Easy for two people to pick a Duratec up and sling it in the back of a car. With a Zetec there is always abit of "to me, to you" as you struggle to get the thing put away. Not very scientific I know but a Zetec is between 115 and 120 kilos.

I'll weigh a 2.3 with no flywheel after tha bank holiday sa we can see the difference between the 2 litre.

Scuffers

Sure you can come. On two conditions. You stop calling the Duratec a Durex and if you come for the curry you sit at opposite ends of the table to me as I don't want to have to listen to you all night going on about bleedin' Hondas. One question. How much does a Honda weigh?

AMMO

"Sure you can come. On two conditions. You stop calling the Duratec a Durex and if you come for the curry you sit at opposite ends of the table to me as I don't want to have to listen to you all night going on about bleedin' Hondas. One question. How much does a Honda weigh?"

err - me?

Talk about Hinda's?

your having a laugh 😬

K20 dressed (as in EVERYTHING including it's 7Kg's alt/flywheel/clutch/oil filter/etc etc) is 119Kg's

Ah weight or more particularly engine weight........... the 'new' bullsh#t.

2lt Hart weighs 101kgs without clutch or alternator. Original engine quoted as 245lbs (111kgs) but savings found from junking mechanical injection gubbins (7.8kgs !) and having mag sump, carrier and cover. BDX in same state of dress was almost identical to this bar a couple of lbs.

Maybe I should have fitted a 'K' and shaved 20 kgs from the car's current 430kg all up ready to race weight...............er no.

Home of BDR700

Dave

Re-read your post. 105 kilos sounds about right for a dressed Duratec. I know for sure that my old 1800 Zetec was 115 kilos (weighed on Mark Hicks' corner weight scales). It had some light bits on it. However a fully dressed K at 79 kilos? Sounds a bit light to me.

Will try to weigh a 2 litre again and a 2.3 on Tuesday if I get the time. I'm curious to see what the difference is.

Edited to say that I just went on Fluke Motorsports web page and found a few Rover engines quoted at around 100 kilos. There is your fully dressed 1900 K weight at 89 kilos. Are you sure 79 kilos isn't a typo or maybe your memory playing tricks? Are the 89 kilo and the 79 kilo engines different or one and the same?

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 30 Apr 2005 06:52:52

It was 79K , but if I added the std rover alternator and magnetron starter then this would make the K 87 Kg

*thumbup*

I'm just uploading some photos we took of Toms new duratec which i went to see last night *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Very tasty .......... *cool* *cool* *cool* *cool* *cool* *cool* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

I'm very interested to see what the outcome of this weight discussion is. The only way I see it being resolved is to list exactly which components are on the engine(all of them *wink*) and if they are standard or not. For anyone really into weightsaving this could be very useful *thumbup*

Dave

I see. *thumbup* Might go over to Emerald on Tuesday lunchtime as Rob wants to try my silencer and collector on Tom's car. The engine should make good power as it has all the right bits in it. 😬

AMMO

Dave

Tom's engine installation looks dead tasty. Rob has done a really neat job. Well done Rob. *thumbup*

More incentive to go up to Emerald on Tuesday to have a better look.

AMMO

Special mention must go to the Hayabusa engine ! *smile* *biggrin*

Haven't weighed it myslf but have seen various figures ranging from 85 Kg to 92 Kg, and that *includes* the starter motor, generator, injection system as well as the clutch and a 6 speed gearbox *thumbup* 175bhp out of the box. Not sure if those weights are dry or wet, but doesn't really matter as it's so low.

The Hyabusa is a lovely bit of kit. Currently helping Matt Blackbirdman build a Honda. Also a very nice engine. His new lump is bored to 1200cc with a ported head and Kent cams. Should be a laugh.

If I was building a track only car I would be very tempted to go BEC. Matt has taken me out for a spin in his standard Blackbird engined car. Amazed how late you can brake and by the corner speed.

The engine is too busy for everyday use. On the other hand Matt really liked how civilized my car with full screen and flares was. We came to the conclusion that we should have one of each 😬

AMMO