Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Classic-Avons or Yoko's

jp7

Hi all, my brother has just ordered a new classic for delivery next year. He was wondering whether to have the standard supplied 185/70x13 Avons or pay for the upgrade to 185/60x13 Yoko's. These will also require a set of adjustable spring platforms to get the ride height correct. So total cost of the upgrade is around 450 quid. Is it worth the extra cash? Let's hear your views.

Cheers

Andy

Yes but the adjustable spring seats are 171 quid (+VAT ?) so if you add that to 200 quid for a set of five tyres then that's 371 quid. Not that far off.

Yokos are definately the way to go, Avons are way too hard for a se7en, you'll die of old age or boredom before they wear out.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif

But if you can persuade Caterham to supply the wheels with no tyres and then go to George Polley, it becomes a no cost option. 70 profile tyres are great on the Classic - the extra sidewall height absorbs a few more of the bumps.... - and won't require height adj dampers until the springs start to sag, or speed humps get taller.

Cheers,

Graham

I'd go for the full upgrade including the adjustable spring seats. You'll only want them later anyway, and if you're considering them at this point, you've not got that far to go before you finally accept the cost and go for it.

You've got far more scope for customising your car's handling with adjustable spring seats. This is (IMO) more important than any future engine upgrades.

Many thanks for all the replies. i spoken to my brother, he seemed to like the idea of having the car supplied less tyres and then getting some 70 profile yoko's.this does away with the need for the platforms and also perhaps a change of diff ratio. Does anyone have this George Polley's number?

Cheers

Andy

George Polley Motorsport

Unit 1a Station Road Industrial Estate

Heathfield

Sussex

TN21 8DB

Tel. No.: 01435 863679

Fax No.: 01435 864354

www.polleymotorsport.co.uk

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif