Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

OIl Catch Tank

Bafty Crastard

I am considering fitting an oil catch tank to a crossflow engine probably located adjacent to the washer bottle.

Speaking to A&H Fabriactions they will manufacture a pukka aluminium tank with suitable screw connections for braided hoses for a reasonable cost. Any suggestions on configuration ie, Screw top, drain, vent, contence site, oil pipe connection on left/right/top ?

Thanks Paul S

Rally design make a very good oil catch tank ready to take standard hydraulic connectors, it has a sight level and a drain plug, try

www.raldes.co.uk

Ideally you need to vent the crankcase using a large diameter hose (as large as practical) and take it up as high as possible before descending into the catch tank, the other side of the tank should have a vent pipe which vents air to the outside world. If possible you should try to use a Cortina vent block on the side of the block as it has a splashguard and is offset to help prevent siphoning and loss of oil by windage.

Oily (or not in this case)

Oily,

On advice from RK I believe, I have run a 5/8 pipe from the crank case to a union in the Rocker cover, then another 5/8 pipe with a filter, from another union in the Rocker cover to the catch tank.

Then the catch tank is vented

That should give many vented oil the chance to drain back into the rocker box.. Personally I'd have thought 5/8 a bit small, the idea with a large diameter of hose is to stop any ejected oil from forming a plug and being blown straight out, the bigger the hose, the less likely it is to form a meniscus across the hose.

Oily