Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiper motor/switch wiring

Eugene

Having just put a windscreen back on my Seven (Aeorscreens in storage 'til the move to Rome) can anyone help with a wiring problem. I have replaced all dash switches with 'old style' toggle ones and can't work out the necessary wiring to make the self-park action of the wipers work. Anyone any ideas?

Small Boy - with Big Toy!

See Eugene here

The motor usually has five connections, peramanent power, peramanent earth, speed one power,speed two power,and one touch wipe.

The self park is operated by a small contact mechanism inside the motor which supplies power from the permanent supply for about 320 degrees of the motors revolution and then breaks. This means that anything starting the motor/sweep off and then immediately disconnecting will cause the motor to continue until it has made a complete single revolution whereupon it will stop. This is how intermittent wipe and self park work. Anything which causes the wiper motor to turn should also cause it to self park if the permament supply is hooked up.

Oily.

All the non permanent feeds should be switched, the delay wipe is nornally fired by a relay every 'N' seconds and only stays on long enough for the motor to move to the 'self-park' position where it then completes the wipe. The others hsould only be made live when the appropriate switch is put on or the appropirate position is selected on the wiper switch.

If the arm is stopping away from the parked position then there is likely to be a fault inside the motor casing that is stopping the self park, or the permanent supply isnt connected. If its continuing forever then one of the switched supplies.. isnt.

Oily

Here is something I prepared earlier.. It's based on the assumption the the motor is the two speed Mini offerring.

Mini Pin out

Pin 1 Black Ground

Pin 2 Brown & Green 12v On intermit

Pin 3 Blue & Green 12v On Fast

Pin 4 Orange & Green Perm 12v

Pin 5 Red & Green 12v On norm

I think this is right but dont scalp me if its not.

Oily

Sorted!

The perm live is a return feed to the switch. The return is via the motor park switch and when the dash switch is in the off position it feeds the return power back to the motor via the same cabling as for wiper on but the motor switch cuts the power at park. Easy! (bugger was it).

Small Boy - with Big Toy!

See Eugene here