Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What are the risk in running too rich?

jackb_ms

I think slightly rich is "safe" in that when it's lean it burns hotter. So you generally tune an engine to run slightly rich so you have more margin before it goes lean and risks causing damage by overheating.

If it's very, very rich then there's a risk of bore washing and damage that way.

But on average slighty rich is best.

I would rather be slightly rich than lean, if you run it rich the car will run cooler, lean means hot and thats not good, my power map chucks fuel in, lamba still shows green on full throttle.

Bore wash can occur but you have to be chucking it in and not using the fuel. Plenty of throttle will see it okay.

My safe maps are thoes that slightly over fuel *cool*

Cheers Dave,

That's cool then 😬, It's mainly when I reverse or when it's idle that i can smell it. I don't know what happen when i'm blatting along because no one is following me

If I ask a nice Rover garage with the right software would he be able to see what is going on?

My setup is a standard VVC witha sligthly modified fuel pressure regulator, to stop the hesitation at lower RPM

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

I'll have a look a the spark plug and see how they look like.

Goimg to Sabre Heads on Saturday, could ask Roger what he thinks about it

Thank you Rob, good idea! *idea*

As someone got a spare fuel pressure regulator for the vvc? I just want to check if i fit a non modified one stop the smell

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21