Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiring diagram & Stack problems

Adam

I’m trying to get hold off a wiring diagram for the following cocktail:

- 2001 superlight

- EC3 1800 SS

- Stack instruments (Caterham R500 type)

I recon the stack part of the loom is likely to be similar to the R500 as it has the +ve and tacho sig for the ACES shift lights included by the stack plug.

I suspect Ive got a wiring problem (earth connection?) as the stack has several strange characterizes; records some very high max speed readings ... >450mph, the whole stack system can cut out occasionally when I switch the heater fan on/off, the temp can fluctuate between 87 and 108C within seconds (happened once on wet day).

Any ideas or diagrams would be a big help.

Cheers

Adam

I have a 2001 Superlight EU3 1600ss with the Stack, I am due to get a fax from Caterham today with the wiring diagram inc extension to the loom for power with a battery isolator.

It sounds like I have a similar setup to you, I'll get you a copy if you want.

Cheers

Adam,

The overread on the speedo is caused by incorrect sensor spacing or crud from the brakes on the sensor tip. Gap should be 1.0mm +/- .25

The other problems could be a bad relay (one of the relays provides the supply for the Stack) or a bad earth - See Lukes current thread on oil pressure readings for details on where to check grounds. I posted some stuff there.

Robert, I asked Jason to send you a wiring diagram for your dash assy on Oct 6th!! I dont think they have one for use outside the factory.

Its pretty obvious the people who build the cars in the factory do not use the same manual as the self build customers get. Otherwise the self build manual would contain less errors and better explainations.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Still no fax from Caterham, I'll chase them today.

Arnie, the fax was due from the factory not Jason - he obviously never bothered, the factory phoned me after I asked for a loom extension for power as the battery isolator didn't isolate. The factory told me "some things remain live even with the battery isolator in the off position". Think I'll have a refund then.

Anyway, they did promise a wiring diagram pertinent to my car.

This should also help us when we install the K series in K2Rum over the winter.

Also, as an aside for Arnie, I've now got a new coolant header tank (new design) which is crap, different mounting points and my sexy silicon hoses wont attach. Going to phone for a replacement older style one.

Cheers

Robert,

The WHOLE LOOM is live! The only thing isolated by the switch is the battery from the alternator!

The loom feed from the battery +ve should run via the switch. There must be extra cable for this.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Edited by - Fat Arnie on 26 Oct 2001 11:06:56

I have a similar setup, 2001 1.6 superlight with EU3 engine, stack dash and R500 style Aces shift lights.

After I'd built it & fired it up, the stack would light up (digital bit at the bottom) and the aces lights would give the check beep and all 6 lights would light up, however the rev counter wouldn't work.

The car has had it's PBC at the factory and they told me they thought the ECU for an EU3 engine didn't have enough voltage to run both the rev counter and the aces unit, so for the moment the rev counter works but the shift lights don't. I'm currently awaiting instructions from the factory for a fix.

Anyone else experienced the same?

Tarkers

Did you get the Aces shift lights as an extra option?

Caterham won't provide me the shift lights as I think I ordered an r500 dash and they think it's just the Stack I wanted.

Just wondered if you had gone the same route as me.

Cheers

Count,

Yes, I ordered a stack dash expecting the shift lights to be part of it. However luckily I was passing the factory a couple of days before delivery and popped in. Seeing my car being prepared I asked the guy who was preparing it where the hole was for the shift lights. It then came to light that they weren't part of the stack dash and I needed to pay extra - which I did on that day, with the main reason being that they would be wired up correctly.

At the moment the aces shift light is just a very expensive bit of extra weight!

I called yesterday for an update but had no luck.

Arnie, thanks for the tips. Hopefully Ill get a chance this weekend to work on the car:-)

Tarkers, I had the same ACES problem.

It was causes by two issues;

- the signal line of the aces loom is shielded. The sheild (GND) and signal where shorting at the spade connector.

- the signal from the ECU only switches between 0 to 6-8 volts and the aces triggers around 8-9 volts

To fix the second problem I put a 8k resistor between 12V and the signal line. I did this on the aces loom and a common 10k ohm will prob do the job too. An easy way to try this out is to hold the resistor between the two spade connectors that exit the stack plug - 4 inch white wire (12v) and 4 ich whte/black wire (sig).

Im still waiting for Caterham to confirm whether this could harm/affect the ECU etc, but I think that its unlike to do that. Not sure how the warranty is affected though ...

Count, I specifically order both the stack and aces. For this I got a R500 stack system, eg 0-4-10 range and most parameters pre-set. The ACES is a SureShift 2 opposed to the SL model (non programmable?) fitted to the R500.

I also asked Caterham for the wiring diagram - but was told its not quite in a "customer" format yet. I would still like a wiring diagram, but will start by checking the earthing points.

Adam

Edited by - Adam on 26 Oct 2001 17:03:14