Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Axle Stands for Self-Build

RobinW

I'm pulling together the special tools that I need to build my CSR in July and I'm currently looking at axle stands. Does anybody have a feel for the ideal height for the standsfor the chassis to be at a comfortable working height? I also need to be able to get under the car without my nose being pressed against the floor-pan.

I'm looking at the 3 ton (300mm - 430mm) and 6 ton (400mm - 615mm) stands here:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=107&r=2048

Would either of these be OK, or is there a better option somewhere?

Robin, Don't worry about the weight rating, it's the height you need.

Get the highest you can, the 6 ton look OK.

The ratchet type are usefull when working but a bit narrow at the base. They'll be fine for the 7 but I would be carefull about putting to much sideways strain on them (like pushing a power bar sideways when under the car).

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

I don't think you need anything too special - I just got 2 pairs of 'cheapies' from Screwfix - at £9.99 a pair. I think they get to about 18" high, for me this was more than enough and as Steve says - don't forget you need to be able to jack it high enough to get it back on the floor again!

Roadsport build photo's here

Le Mans 2004 photo's here

I made some steel trestles when i built the fury, having been through it all once before at floor height with the first build i didn't want to do it again! About 4 ft tall, perfect for doing everything apart from engine/g'box and rear axle. Got the car down using engine hoist and gantry and lifting one end at a time.

Rob

Thanks guys!

I was also wondering how the hell I was supposed to get the car down from the stands. 570Kg is a may not be much for a 3 ton axle stand, but it's a lot to lift by yourself *eek*.

However, I guess I've solved more complex problems in the past, so I can't say I'm too concerned.

More of a concern is being one of the first to run through the CSR build manual 😬

I built my car on trolley that I made from Kee-clamps and tubing (rather like scaffolding, and the stuff they make storage towers and heavy-duty railings out of) - about 3 foot 6 inches high from memory. Once the car had all all the wheels on I got a few mates around to lift it off. I warned them that if anyone hurt themselves and sued me, I'd have to sell the car to pay them off!

I had no real idea of how awkward a lift it would be - it was the idea of bending one's back to lower it that concerned me, but it was no problem at all (that was chassis, suspension, diff, wheels and tyres). The height was ideal for working on and could be rolled around for convenience or out in the sunshine!

If you want to use axlestands (or chassis stands) that are taller than your jack, just hire an engine crane for the lift down although you'd need to be careful of the angles if very high or you may hit the ground at one end.

Machine Mart make some stands on wheels, but they are quite expensive and a little wider than necessary, so you may keep tripping over the frames unless you fancy cutting the cross-members down. (They are about 400mm high on the largest wheel size - but they'd take the complete car with drivetrain and driver too).