Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Limited Slip Diff - HELP!

lancelot

I have an LSD question - When you buy the lsd 'bit' (Quaife etc) is it just the 'middle' bit of the diff? i.e. not the crownwheel/pinion.

If so, doe the kits fit any diff (sierra diff, that is)

Because I'm looking for a 3.38:1 ratio and they seem rare, so am wondering whether to buy the first one that comes up and just swap the limited slip bit from another lsd case (different ratio)

Any pointers on where i can find one would be a help too

Cheers

Cheers.

I just missed the opportunity to aquire the rare ratio and the LSD bit seperately because I didn't know if I could do what you suggested Mike.

Thanks also to Adam - you seem to post an answer to most of my questions *thumbup*

I think it's the 7" one I need, but is it the one with push-in driveshafts or bolt-on?

Cheers

lancelot: I have just been through the process you are about to embark on so your questions are the same ones I has 6 months ago. I did loads of reading/asking around to get a pretty good understanding of the options and it would be a shame not to pass tips on if they will assist you.

BTW - Push in drive shafts.

I don't think you can get an LSD equipped standard fit Sierra 7" 3.38 diff. The 3.38 is pretty common in itself though - it's on many diesels and bigger engined estates so you will be able to get one from a scrappie. I think the XR4x4 diffs are 7" and have LSDs, so do others. So if you could get the two diffs, the gubbins could be built into 1 3.38 LSD for about £100(3.38 diff) + £100(LSD diff) + £150(build) - i.e. £350. That's the same kind of money you'll pay for one where someone else has done all the hard work and decided they need a 3.14.

Alternatively, if you have an LSD diff now, just get a 3.38 CWP and give R&R £150ish to fit it to your diff. R&R may well have 3.38 CWPs knocking around - they did when I had mine done. It'll still be about £350 though as once the 3.38 CWP is out of a scrappie (who won't appreciate their niche value) it'll cost you more.

Almost there now.... *smile*