Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

(Deliberate) removal of rear mudguards

Tony Martyr

The forward bolts screw into Riv-nuts and these can be a right pain when they start to turn. You can either drill them out and then try to fit some new ones (possibly with this washers etc) or you could try getting to the back of them. I think that you would need to de-rivet the inside panel to do this, and then grip in pliers or similar.

Have you tired putting on Plus Gas or WD40 to try to loosen the threads, with care (and slightly pulling back on the screw/or pushing forwards) you might get them to undo - slowly.

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

Another thought.... if you are not in a rush you could try applying some glue to the riv-nut in order to try to stop it turning... just an idea smile.gif

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

Tony, Phil describes some good ideas for getting your bolts out, but to prevent this in the future you might want to replace the metal bolts with plastic ones. These do not suffer from friction welding (unlikely at torque setting applied here) or corrosion locking, and if you give a little spray of aforementioned WD40 prior to screwing them in, they'll always come out easily again.

Can I ask why you wish to remove your wings? Most people only ever do this against Armco or tyre bails.

I had the same problem with my car and took out the original rivnuts and replaced them with the next size up. I used aluminium bolts and an anti-sieze compound.

I don't have any rivnuts left but I do have a rivnut "gun" if you need one.

Tony,

As I am sure you are aware when you put the wings back on it is suggested that you use plastic bolts and nuts all round as well as on the rivnut ones so that in the worst case when the wing does detach it doesn't hopefully create large holes everywhere.... Derek at Caterham Midlands holds plastic bolts & nuts precisely for this.

Best Regards,

Brian

Thanks Guys - I think I knew the answer but did not want to think about it.

I WILL use plastic for the re-build.

I am taking them off so as to better tackle the horrible deteriation - as in disappearance, of the powder coat from much of the rear suspension. Labourious use of emery strip and application of zinc undercoat is not a fun modification to the car