Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 vx alternator change

GregP

Further to my previous post it looks like a new alternator is in order (ignition light firmly on with engine running despite new battery and all connections checked). Can this be fitted with the engine in situ? It looks tight but just possible, has anyone done this who could offer any tips to a complete numpty like me?

Cheers

Greg

• 12 years later...

I needed to change the alternator on my 1.6 VX.  As a slightly incompetent mechanic I did a search earlier today to see if there were any tips and to check whether or not I needed to remove anything in order to get access.  I found this thread and thought it would answer all my queries.  The question was perfect but unfortunately nobody had responded so I was none the wiser.

In the end I decided to just have a go.  Having been successful I thought I would post here for anybody searching in the future.

I put the front of the car up ramps to get access underneath.  I then unbolted the expansion tank and moved it out of the way but I did not need to disconnect any of the hoses.  This created enough space to jiggle the old alternator out and squeeze the new one in.  It is a tight squeeze and involves quite a bit of trial and error but it works.