Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Piper BP285H timings

reAnimate

Simon,

You're paranoid, just follow the instructions I gave you, 110 thou lift at TDC for the inlet, 95 thou lift at TDC for the exhaust, there is sufficient space twixt valve and piston on a stock 1.8 to accomodate up to 140 thou lift at TDC without compromising the required 60 thou running clearance.

Oily

Thanks very much Dave and Chris. The story is beginning to get clearer now. Apparently I'm told by the guy doing it (who in turn has spoken with Warren @ Piper) it is trickier to configure the lift with hydrolic then with solid followers on a "dry" engine. He reckons the DVA way is fantastic though. I spoke with Warren myself and he recommended 106 deg / 106 deg settings which we went for, then we'll set the lift as per DVA recs when the cams have been run in.

It is all coming together, it sounds fantastic and will hopefully be on the road by the end of the week. I am quite excited.

Do I hear an Emerald RR day approaching?!!!!

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon,

Warren must be getting his knickers in a twist :-), since you measure the lift at the follower surface and not at the valve, then it makes no difference if you have hydraulic or solid followers or if the engine is 'dry'.

Where it does make a difference is in measuring the clearance between valve and piston when doing a dummy build, or if the hydraulic follower is 'remote' from the valve as in the Rover V8.

Still, glad you're getting it all together now.

Oily