Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham Endurance racing Club - Any takers

Giles Wardle

As Giles says.

Looking outside the Grads etc etc and the EERC/Centurian/UK Endurance championships, there seems to be a dwindling stock of people wanting to race their 7's in competitive endurance racing without being the slowest on track due to the radicals et al.

2 solutions - more people sign up for these series' in caterhams or race in a separate session.

So - who is up for endurance racing - 60 to 75 minute sessions, double header weekends possibly maybe 5 times a year.

No arguing on the ins and outs of slicks etc - we're talking theory here of who would be interested in the IDEA of it and prepared to take part. If it can get up to a 14 car grid then it's a discussion worth taking further.

Definitely interested - and speaking with the few other 7 racers that turn up to the EERC meetings there may be a few more that could be interested.

To attempt to keep numbers up you need to allow other 7 like vehicles to enter.

On a similar note - the EERC say that at the next meeting (Snetterton 21/22 May) they intend splitting off the 7s and slower Radicals into a separate race, so if there are any interested racers please enter this race. If it works, we can then argue to get rid of the Radical completely and can get back to racing one another.

Gary, not quite endurance, but 750mc 7Challenge has 30min races these days. 1 hours racing on double header weekends for £275. You Blackbird car could run in Class A.

The problem for me is that costs have risen significantly since I did the Centurian two years ago. It may be very difficult these days with increasing circuit costs to get the balance of sufficient distance to be endurance and low enough cost to attract sufficient numbers. To get reasonable grids a number of us budget racers are required. This needs not only reasonable entry fees but alos reasonble running costs, particularly tyres. The 032s we used lasted vey well and gave good grip.

Barry

Britsports and Gold Arts to attempt a split..

Britsports to have 1x 20min qual and a 45 min race on Saturday the 21st May and a 45 min race on Sunday the 22nd May with Gold Arts doing the same in separate races. Price for the two races £595.00.

Club Radicals/Ariel Atoms /Westfield XTR2/Westfields/Strkers and Caterhams will make up the field, and Clive Denham has agreed with Doug Newman , 'Gold Arts Sponsor,' to bring his cars too.

From the EERC website.

mike

would that be suez or panama 🤔 but i do agree by the time you add your other weekend ex's it wouldn't be hard to do a bag of sand *eek* for one weekends fun, hardly the enthusiastic clubman/family mans territory *mad*

ming 😬

so many supercars so little time!!!!!!

ok. had a meeting with this afternoon (about my car) but raised your comments about racing 7's and 7 type cars.

IF there is the interest from you guys, a proper series can be organised similar to the ORIGINAL centurian regs to cater for what you want. In the kind of budgets that you like.

Now - don't ask me difficult questions as I'm really just helping grease the wheels here. The things I've managed to find out, and potential problems:

for it to work to a)make it fun for you guys and b)ensure that the prices are kept down, you NEED a 14 car grid for the year. The second thing, is that despite interest in these kind of serieses, a lot of people bottle out of/can't do a complete season etc, and what starts as promises to race ends up in 10 car grids... (and please, don't take any of this as personal comments, I'm just passing on the impression I've got from having spent time in the paddock of a series over the last few years).

Sooo. (long posting here). What do you all think?

and btw. I'm not racing in any series, paid by anyone in relation to this or have any financial/business involvements - i just want to spend more time in the paddock taking the photographs and enjoying the racing spectacle. But - am happy to help if it achieves this.

So - the outcome is. If you want it, it's available, subject to enough of you wanting it and being prepared to put the money down and commit to it.

Clive has now got the details out for the UK endurance series - www.ukendurance.couk. The more of us who turn up the merrier.... I recognise what's been said about it "costing" but we will get a lot of track time for our cash. If (like me) you can only get out to play for a very few weekends each year it makes sense to maximise your track time. No, Clive hasn't got me on commision I just want to see lots of Sevens out 😬

V7 HPD

I have been following the thread on the other forum, so have completely missed this.

The market for 7 type endurance racing is possibly bigger than first appears.

With the presence of Radicals etc. in Aryliam and EERC the only 7 entrants to these events are Superlights and BECs. But there are many other slower 7s out there being raced... Grads/Supers/Megas/Academy/Roadsports etc. all of whom couldn't possibly compete in Aryliam/Centurian agin Superlights/Radicals and therefore don't enter these races at all.

There are many people who want to race but cannot to commmit the time to do a season with 10 race meetings/weekends. I would say at least 50% of Graduates/Supers/Megas do less than 50% of a season.

The rational approach would be for EERC to run Radical etc endurance races and Aryliam to run 7 endurance races, rather than both Aryliam & EERC organising combined races with both Radicals & Caterhams.

Having 2 championships with both Radicals & Caterhams seems bonkers to me. It deters a big contingent of Caterham racers from entering.

I agree totally, the only problem with what you and I view as a practical solution is that these series organisers have good relationships with their drivers, and probably other business with them (maintenance etc etc) and will be loath to release them to racing in the other series.

OTOH, it could work out well - if they're supporting cars, there are twice as many weekends to look after customers on!