Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-Series VVC

Tom

My Girlfriend's sister bought a hairdryer, sorry, an MGF VVC, a few months back and her new boyfriend drove it at the weekend and said it didn't feel or sound like the VVC was working. She doesn't know what VVC is....

I have an Integra with the Honda Vtec system and the second cam makes a huge difference - you couldn't possibly miss it. Should the VVC feel similar?

And, if it's not working, is there a cheap fix?

Help please *confused*

The K-series VVC has *continuous* variable valve timing, not just a switch from one cam to another at a particular rpm. So it's effect is smooth & subtle. I've not driven a VTec, but from what I've heard it's more of a 'switch' effect - good for impressing the occasional passenger but not really how an engine should be.

Mike

Her new boyfreind clearly doesn't know his @rse from his elbow.

VVC is a *continously* variable valve control *NOT* a second cam like the Honda system.

If it wasn't working, the engine would work at all.

Cheers people. That just about clears it up.

By the way, just for the record, I was aware that the Vtec system of a second cam differs in concept from the variable valve technology, I just wasn't aware that the VVC operates over the entire rev range - if I've understood it right!