Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

I'm forever blowing fuses

Steve Robinson

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having with brake fuses on my 96 1.6 Superlight. Have disconnected reverse and fog light and still the fuse keeps blowing.

Tried changing the brake light switch and that has made no difference. All is fine with the ignition on, but when I start the engine the fuse blows.

As a technical dunce should I admit defeat, or is there an easy cure?

Any help much appreciated.

Robbo

I dimly remember this being the first problem I ever had after building my car. I rang the technical support line who immediately suggested that the brake light was earthing through one of the light unit mounting screws I know it fixed the problem but can't remember the details. - Try them

Your going to need a multimeter to trace the fault out it does sound like an earth fault put one laed of the meter to eath and the other to the wire on the ciruit if you can split the circuit up in to smaller bits it will help ie the fuse to the switch the switch to the rear joint/conection then to the lamp holder and check the resistance this should be as open circuit to earth up to the earth side of the lamp holder with the lamp OUT if the wiring loom is jointed like my Westfeild with a block conector check for water in it shorting it out as this will cause the same a blown fuse

Paul

Tracked the same problem on mine to the contacts in the fog lamp (could be the reversiing lamp as well, 'cos they lokk the same design) - the earth contact had pivoted sideways enought to short the bulb - didn't look like it, but realigning it sorted it.

Bri

I don't know the Superlight, but on a 5 speed live axle I've seen this problem once a tillet seat was installed. The seat was pushing the tunnel against the reversing light switch on the 'box, which wore through the insulation until it shorted on the ali tunnel. Maybe worth a look?

Stuart