Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rondels / Numbers

sjmmarsh

Looking through the blue book, I notice that the rules state that competition numbers need to be on a white oblong background (edged in back if the car is a light colour). Looking at some of the photos from sprints last year, I notice that backgrounds are not always used and some are round.

Is this a new rule for 2005, or is it something that is honoured in the breach?

I would prefer to use white numbers only on my car, but not if it means I won't get past the scrutineers!

Any advice?

Steve

If you check Section L (for Speed Events specifically) you should find something about 'acceptable to the timekeepers on the day'. This over rides the catchall clause in E. At most speed events somebody near the line reads your number before you start. As long as they can read it everybody's happy. Some events require numbers on the front, this is usually a result of where the timekeepers hut is placed wrt the start.

FWIW it's 'L 9.2.5'...

Paul

In sprint and hill climbs I don't think that numbering has ever been a problem. At Longcross yesterday there was everything from proper black number on white backgrounds to numbers produced on a word processor and sellotaped to the side of the car.

At most speed events the timekeepers are usually right next to the start line so numbers just on the two sides would be OK. As long as the numbers are in contrast to the background or the colour of the car if applied directly, seems to be acceptable.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

The timekeepers at Lydden can be a bit picky about quality of numbers so invest in some proper sticky numbers and backgrounds if you sprint there. Otherwise anything legible seems to go..

Useless trivia - Brooklands used to employ a dedicated signwriter who would paint the numbers on competitors cars for them.

Jonathan

Guys,

Assuming we manage to get into Shelsley Walsh next year we will need a third set of numbers also on the top of the nosecone by the Caterham badge facing the front near side - as per MAC rags. The Shelsley control/timing hut is almost in front of a competitor on the start line. This causes quite a bit of grief with some single seaters with limited amounts of vertical space to affix numbers!

Brian

I like the 'Caterham Motorsport' backgrounds but am told that they are only available to Caterham circuit racers.

Is there scope for a Club version? If so, does anyone have any contacts/design ideas?

'All' it needs is perhaps the right size oblong and the words 'Lotus 7 Club' - maybe the Club logo too.

I'll have two please...

Andy

Its worth contacting the Timekeeper, who should be listed in the Supplementary Regs, their contact details will be in your Blue Book, and asking them what they will require.

Its worth remembering that it is not just the Timekeepers that need to see the numbers, but also the marshals on the posts around the circuit.

Renny Thomson

MSA Scrutineer (Nat A)

My Website

Lyndsay

At present, I am only registered at MIRA - I haven't been able to make the others so far. I was going to give you a ring to see if there were any S&DCC events that would be suitable. My non-7 commitments (Le Mans, holidays, Stamford Car Show, and Burghley Horse Trials) have fallen very badly this year, so I am struggling to find an event on when I can make it!

I am on a couple of trackdays though (Cadwell on day 2 and Mallory with R300.net), so it isn't all bad.

Other than that, I am all kitted out but no time to go!

Steve