Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1900 k VVC or not

mightymetros

Ive decided to take the plunge and get a 1900 bottom end from Scholer, but im unsure what to do with the head? At the moment im running a ported, big valve vvc head (32.5mm inlet valve ,28.5mm exhaust valve) with piper exhaust cam. Throttle bodies and an Emerald. Now im still running with the vvc mechanisms and im unsure if to keep the vvc mechanism, or go for the proven 1444 cams?

BTW, The engine at the moment with standard 1800 bottom end is turning out aronud 185-190bhp

Basically, if i keep the vvc mechs i dont have any extra outlay, and if i go the 1444 cam rounte, i reckon im looking at £500 for the cams and conversion kit. What will the advantage and disadvantages of both be. I want the car to be able to do a reliable 6000-8000 miles a year, and still have good drivability

Any opinions?

You are looking at a lot more then £500 for the 1444 cams, by the time you factor in blanking kit, cams, valve springs, steel caps, solid followers, shims and shimming, you will be loking at closer to £1000. going 1900 on the existing setup will gain you around 5-6% , going for 1444s will lift you to 220BHP+, more if the head is well done.

Oily

ok again talking HP or BHP , but what that "upgrade" *confused* will bring to torque 🤔 , as for a 1.880 or 1.9 l cant go above 192/194ft for the engine

and at what rpm : low , high , or as in some vvc = all the way ..

Given the same volumetrics a 1900 will make on average 5.5% more torque at any point in the rev range. However since the bore is increased by 2mm this can have an affect on the discharge co-efficient of the inlet valves, especially on a big valve head. It has been demonstrated that given like for like on the engines other factors, more than 5.5% extra torque is released.

Oily