Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where did I see the post about Shelsley Walsh?

Irrelevant

In this months LowFlying it mentions that the Cheshire & Staffs area are arranging a 'gathering' of 7's at the Centenary meeting but there is no mention of cars entering the hillclimb.

You could take a look here about the venue. IIRC you need a National A licence for this venue.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Edited by - Mark Durrant on 15 Apr 2005 17:54:05

Edited by - Mark Durrant on 15 Apr 2005 17:55:08

Cheers Mark . . . . maybe I did see it in LF and have confused myself somewhat 😳 I'll maybe contact them direct to find out how to get into one of their hillclimbs

BTW, I intend to make full use of my shiny new Speed Nat A license. I didn't leave it for signing and forget it almost every time for nothing.... *wink*

Planning on doing:

Prescott

Shelsley

Brighton

and any of the other prestidious/historic venues that require NatA licenses.

Getting there.... *smile*

Adam,

You will need slightly more than your Nat A license to get into a hillclimb at Shelsley Walsh or Prescott. You will of course need an invitation - either as a member of an invited club (note Midland Automobile Club (MAC) runs all events at Shelsley Walsh) or via one of the championships that has a round there at a specific meeting - just like the Lotus 7 Club Speed Championship. Some of the meetings at both venues can be entered with a Nat B license too, incidentally.

Both Prescott and Shelsley only operate at certain weekends of the year (Shelsley only operates on 5 weekends - 3 of which are two day events) and both venues select entries from applicants - hence it is easy to get a rejection from both these venues - you may have to enter several events before success. Also note that both venues tend to have early closing dates for entries also (to provide time for selection) - typically three weeks to one month before the event - and both venues are VERY popular.

Both are superb venues though and well worth entering. Because of my Shelsley Walsh connection I have already spoken to NIck Chan to see if the Cheshire Area need any help if they do decide to organise a gathering of 7's at the Shelsley Walsh centenary meeting in August. It will certainly be a superb event - but you needn't bother entering for that one - its by specific invitation only!

Incidentally we did try to get an invitation at Shelsley Walsh during 2005 for the Lotus 7 Club Speed Championship. Due to their ongoing commitments for existing championships etc this ultimately proved not to be possible - MAC could not offer us enough entries at the event in July which fitted our calendar. We are hopeful this can be remedied for 2006 and I will be working on that later in this season.

If anyone does visit Shelsley Walsh during the 2005 season I can usually be found somewhere near the startline area if you want to say hi!

Brian

Clerk of the Course.

Brian: Thanks for the info. I will have to read up on it and see what championship/club would give me a good chance of getting some entries. I'll start with MAC *thumbup*

I had feared it would be a bit tricky getting an entry, especially at Shelsley and Prescott, but there are other hills I want to do as well - Longleat is one, if they still do an event there *confused*

Good luck with trying to get the L7C invited to Shelsley! It would be great having another proper hill to go along with Loton, Wiscombe, and Harewood.

Getting there.... *smile*

All 'National' meetings are open to anybody with a National A licence. Whether you get an entry or not is dependent on a whole load of factors assuming the event is over-subscribed. The best way is to register for the relevant championships and become a regular. Early entry doesn't hurt at this stage. The higher level the championship the better, there's no reason not to register for the Midland Hillclimb or British Hillclimb Leaders, now you have your shiny new National A...

The Shelsley Centenary weekend is going to be great. There's a British Championship round on the Saturday and then the invitation celebration meeting on the Sunday. Free practice on the Friday. The last times they've done this kind of thing it's got very busy on the Sunday, early arrival would be sensible, especially given this is the biggie, 100 years of the venue, the oldest motorsport venue in the world still in use. Older than Indianapolis... And it's still an incredible challenge.

Get in contact if you have queries, I first went to Shelsley/Prescott/Loton in a Caterham and it was great.

Paul

Adam,

Just to clarify Paul's comment on entries, the regs show that the 4th/5th June and 19/20 August (yes Friday/Saturday) events are the only ones at Shelsley in 2005 open to Nat A licence holders without necessarily belonging to an invited club or registered for a championship. Both these meetings are rounds of the British Hillclimb Championship, Midland Hill Climb championship etc. and will have incredibly fast cars present.

The entries for 4/5 June close on 9th May so you still have a couple of weeks to enter that one!

Brian

Clerk of the Course