Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Very Excited

Boonie Hound

☹️ ☹️ ☹️

Had a look here and you might need to wear some foul weather gear ☹️ ☹️ ☹️

Start slowly

Try to keep the steering inputs as smooth as possible (it upsets the car less)

Keep the line as tight to the cones as you can without hitting them - less chance of getting a over-pendulumly effect, which will end up in a spin

Don't look at the cone you're about to go round - that's history - you need to focus on the future

Use the understeer (or oversteer, depending which way the car you're in is set up) to your advantage

Use the throttle to micro-adjust the steering input

Ignore all of *arrowup* if you're just intending to have a 'hooning' day *tongue*

FH *cool*

Nah - just have a lash *wink*

When I did the day, everyone else got smoother as the day went on. I just got worse and worse, as I kept wanting to slide more and more every time. I would constantly arrive at the 'box' at the end far too fast, slam on the brakes and slide right out the other end, to a weary "Oh Patrick" from the Caterham person 😬

I was pretty far down the order, but my grin was as big as anyone else's *cool*

Poopoo-san and his not quite black and white cat

😬 😬 😬

Do you get much coaching before they let you loose. I wouldn't mind posting some decent times and then having a bit of a hoon. But as you say the main thing is a grin at the end of the day and I am pretty sure I'm going to get one.

Nice to see you post naPP how's the junior Pats?

Hmmm... depends what you want to achieve Boonster - I always try to put smoothness first, getting the 'feel' and then building up the speed. Some people would totally disagree and think in terms of the grin factor (which of course is there in shedloads) 😬 - but there are heeuge benefits to be gained from getting to know how a car handles and those benefits get lost in the adrenaline rush - sorry, that all sounds a bit serious ☹️

FH *cool*

Use the throttle as a switch, and if you aren't hitting full lock each way through the cones you're not trying hard enough! *wink*

Ohhhhh, I see..... You wanted CONSTRUCTIVE comments...... *tongue* *thumbup*

We will mend it We will fix it...

FH - serious is good as is silly so don't be ☹️

naPP and the rest are good drivers and can induce tail out play and handle it. I fear that I can induce tail out play and spin merrily into the distance 😬 So clues on how I may stop doing that so I don't let any team mates down too badly are always welcome and have at least a clue of how I can build on serious driving to produce hooning. What ever happens I plan to have a grin that you couldn't even get in an SV.

Equally - this is the sheds - so any comment (as long as in the spirit of things) are usefull, funny and make my day go better.

I have to go to a meeting in a minute for a couple of hours, then I have to go to another one, then I have to go and help Gay7 with electrickery type things, then I have to go to the pub...However I am sure that I'll manage to fit in some sun dancing at some stage Boonster *cool*

FH - you are right of course. There must always by a voice of suitable moderation *wink*

Seriously, I did actually spend a run or two doing things seriously. The reason I went for the wilder approach for the latter ones was because I thought it would probably be the only place where I could induce huge slides (and spin *biggrin*) safely. That cannot be done in track days or the roads. I therefore chose track days for the more gradual practice at building up speed and confidence. I made a conscious decision to use the slalom day for being silly - if nothing, just to experience a spin or two safely.

So you see - no conflict between us at all *wink*

Poopoo-san and his not quite black and white cat

Pat you are a racing God or at least Guru - no explanation needed from anyone on the advice they give. Just glad for any and I will use all. Just wanted to hear what people did. Bet it's nice not to worry about the strain on the engine, tyres etc when it's not your car 😬

Ooh Blimey! Me? The Voice of Moderation? 😳

NaPP, couldn't agree more about choosing the right environment for trying out huge slides and spins - and yes, in order to find out which type of chocolate you like, you have to take a bite of each variety - in fact, to find out if you even like chocolate, you have to open the packet, sniff it and take a tentative bite *tongue* To continue the analogy, with my "serious" hat on, I worry about people who like chocolates, but eat too many liqueur-filled ones before they're ready for the effects of the alcohol 😬

I wimped out of a trackday last year because it was raining - I'd never driven our 1600 on track (14's) - all my track work having been done in the R500 we'd owned ☹️ As I didn't know how it would behave in the wet and - more importantly - how I would react - I didn't want to find myself in a position where I lost it, collected some innocent car and ended up feeling morally obliged to pay for both lots of damage... since then, I've taken the opportunity of doing some real 'wet' work and have built up the confidence - but that's just me being wimpy and sensible *eek*

Oh, and Mister Toad, if you ever get the chance to drive a Bullnose Morris, you'll find out that the middle pedal is for the brave *wink*

At the end of the day Boonie, just have a great time *thumbup* however you approach it, you'll hurt your face with lots of 😬 😬 😬 😬s

FH *cool*

Boonie...if it makes you feel any better, I'll let you beat me tomorrow around the cones (that sounds perverted and painful 😳).

There....now I have an excuse for doing really badly 😬

Thanks for the opportunity of allowing me to get away with some appalling driving *confused*

Chris - 😬 😬

At last a race I can win - the first to come last. See you tomorrow - whatever happens I'm gonna have a big grin. Have not stopped boring MrsB with it and have even started making vroooom, vrooom, noises.

Can't wait - this is going to be the best Birthday present.