Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much should a new Diff cost

Rich A

Hi Guys after posting a question about my noisy Ital axel, I have decided to go and get it fixed.

Can any one give me a little insight to how much it’s is going to set me back?

I've got a quote of APPROXIMATELY £300 plus labour *confused*

What's new? New bearings? New cwp? Does it have a limited slip unit that needs rebuilding?

£300 sounds a little too much for a straightforward rebuild, ie new bearings, seals, gaskets and putting back together and setting up. I think SPC charge £175 for the same on a Sierra diff.

If it needs new cwp then I don't know how rare ital cwp's are. If it was a Ford axle you'd just buy a new diff assembly for £50 from Muttering Nudes classifieds with the desired ratio and swop them. Guess ital diffs are fewer and farther between.

If it's an lsd then depends on what type and what's wrong with it.

Whatever I'd get some other quotes, SPC in Brum are good people to talk to on live axle Caterham diffs, Road and Race in Kent are the boys for Sierra diffs, sure they can do ital ones too.

Don't have any knowledge of prices, but just FYI, there was some talk around these parts a while back about a Triumph Dolomite diff perhaps being a drop in replacement for the Ital unit. As far as I know, this was never really confirmed, but it might be an option depending on how rare Ital hardware has become.

Dave

Speak to Steve at SPC 01527 894232 *thumbup*

Really friendly and helpful guy - Gave me a wealth of advice last week on my Live Axle re: shimming and repairs.

Its not the days in your life ..........But the LIFE in your days!! ;0))