Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Blackbird Q

elie boone

How much oil goes into a Blackbird, am i correct that i have to fill it where the big plastic plug is on top of the clutch.

Can i use it on the circuit without dry sump but with the original oil cooler.

The engine has flat slide carbs and facet fuel pump with no pressure regulator. It should make 170bhp, is this possible on flat slides.

Sorry for those many qestions but the engine is all new to me.

sorry to rain on your parade buy i would not even consider using a blackbird engine in a car aplication without drysumping it you will suffer oil surge and it will go bang centrefugal force keeps the oil in the sump whilst cornering on a bike but used in a car ie turned through 90% and then held horizontal centrefugal force works against you ☹️

ming 😬

so many supercars so little time!!!!!!

I agree with comments regarding the dry sump.

I think you should at least consider a fuel regulator as it is easy to flood the carbs with the pressure a facet produces. Better still replace the facet with a bike pump (a secondhand one from a 750 Honda from Cheshire Motorcycle Salvage cost me £43).

Barry

Agree on the bike pump thing too, bike pumps self regulate the pressure needed for the carbs whereas a solid state pump needs a regulator. These have been known to strangle the flow rate at the low pressures needed by bike carbs, thereby causing the engine to lean out at the top end.

There's usually several going on ebay for £20-30, as long as it comes from a carb bike with similar capacity it should be fine (a lot of bikes use the same Mitsubishi one anyway)

Chris

Just to chuck a very small (2BA?) spanner in the works - you could get away with a wet-sump Blackbird as JB7 has proved, but it takes a bit of cost and a lot of effort. I think you're looking at some serious sump mods at least plus an Accusump, but to be honest I wopuldn't risk it.

Your best option is to sell the Blackbird and with the proceeds buy a Yamaha R1! (and I don't think that I'm joking....) *wink* *thumbup*

We will mend it We will fix it...

I ran a Kawasaki ZZR 1100 with a Protech(Radical) sump with loads of piping to the big ends, blew up the No.3 end bearing after 5 track days. I would dry sump it to be on the safe side. The Blackbird was more a "touring " engine than a Superbike/Race engine (like the Fireblade) so it may not quite like the stresses quite as much.

The sump is shallow on the clutch side and much deeper on the drive side, also there is a pipe running from the oilpump ? at cranck level to the shallow side of the sump. Does this make it a STD sump ?

It has been overfilled by about 10mm / 1/2" but i guess that does'nt make a difference.

www.novaracing.co.uk

All the details are on the site. as regards the sump pan design, try to find some pics of Bird engines to compare.

I think Westfield do a dry sump kit as well you may well be able to find details on their web site parts catalogue www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk

Hope this is of some help