Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Forgotten Treasure

Alex Birtwisle

😬 *thumbup*

Why on earth are you looking for the perfect seaweed?

because we studied seaweed for my A-level biology and every time I go anywhere near a beach I inform anyone I am with, regardless of whether they want to know or not, all about seaweed (latin names and all). It drives me mad.... so I thought if I can't beat 'em, I may as well join 'em.

Phew...Boonie, thank goodness you didn't buy it.

If you had, then it would only have been the beginning, you'd have started to have an irrational fear of cucumbers, wear pink spandex shorts at the most inopportune moments and have the maddest hair this side of the Watford Gap!

*eek* 😬 Sounds like a lucky escape if you ask me.

*wink*

Rach

I already have the thatch for hair. However Mr Alex is far more of a clever clogs than me when it comes to Magic / science/ engineering. I also think I'm safe as I have no desire to strap a jet engine to my car.....although I may be tempted if I got to wear spandex at the time....oh God, it's happening.

You have to be verrry careful how you spell some of these wordies too...

Ulva fenestrata

What's amazing about Ulva is that when you culture it in the absence of bacteria, the simple blade morphology is lost. In its place you get a mound of cells that is pincushion-like. However, when you add the filtrates from bacteria, red, and brown algae, the morphology is restored. Wow! Provasoli and Pinter in 1980 were the smart phycologists who figured this out. This species is very common along California in bays as well as heavily exposed sites and easily recognized by the small holes in the thallus. *eek*

FH *cool*