Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First Caterham - Duratec?

Seamus

I was wondering if anyone was looking at building untuned Duratecs *eek*

My strange logic for that question is that I assume the untuned lump must work out a bit (alot?) cheaper therefore keeps costs down (ro be used with with a CC starter kit). And the novice gets a nice novice friendly bhp and not 200+ raging bhp & hospital time. And he gets nice upgrade path...

I'm not considering re-sale value in above hypothesis...

If Richard in France is reading, I'd be interested to know how you're getting on with registering your car in France if it's not rude to ask..

Cheers,

Seamus

Hi,

Have not registered due to many reasons, now moving back to UK!!!!! Want to buy a Duratec LHD seven????? May consider selling????

Basically any tuning is a small amount compared to all the fitting kit to get a Duratec into a seven. Perhaps no throttle boddies / ECU but I gather the Ford induction system would not fit too well under the bonnet.

If you want to generally talk give me a call 02 41 94 3800 on evening.

Richard in France

Flying fast in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Seamus, untuned makes a lot of sense, with a freeflow exhaust and a set of webers or throttlebodies, you should see 170-180bhp fairly easily, with great reliability, Still not cheap as its the ancilliaries that are the expensive part. Would suggest the 2.0 litre would be better untuned, as the low compression nature of the 2.3 Ranger engine, almost mandates a piston swap.

Duratec Se7en SV, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool*

Richard, I have just moved to Holland, me the wife and son, with my right hooker.....

Trying to get it tax free on the roads in Holland currently,checked the pics what sort of money are you asking if ya sell it ?

Let me know, maybe i could ring ya sometime soon......

Need to get in a Caterham soon.....driving me mad seeing it sat in the garage

Mine is relatively untuned.......running std head, std cams etc.

But as said before a lot of the installation parts are expensive. I`ve gone a bit further with mine in that I stripped the new engine and fitted uprated big end bearings, ARP con rod bolts, had the mod to the crank carried out, had the pistons pocketed and then had the whole lot balanced.

You could get away without do any of the above.....but if you want to go beyond 190bhp then you`d have to do at least some of it. My thinking is that I`m now in a position with 190bhp but can jump to 220-230 with a set of cams and head porting without touching the bottome end.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

with a freeflow exhaust and a set of webers

Why oh why suggest such carbs as webers, which are about as good as having a pedal bin and a hosepipe fastened to your inlet manifold! *wink* *tongue*

Think common sense and Yamaha R1 carbs..... Cheaper and splendid! 😬 *thumbup*

We will mend it We will fix it...

What no one has said though is that 180hp in a seven is quite enough for most people and not necessarily novice friendly so even a car with that power needs to be treated with respect, particularly if you are new to sevening.

Edited by - Graham Perry on 14 Apr 2005 21:26:47

Come on, you know that Coose makes sense! A nice set of slide carbs off of an R1 would do the job nicely, not only that but with the right mate, you can get a lovely matched inlet manifold in ally and a funky airbox on there too!

Otherwise, Seamus, skip the whole car engined idea and cut straight to the chase and get an R1 engined version from the word go!

BB

Naughty naughty BB,

You know how it works in France for getting BECs registered - it don't.

Graham, you're spot on with what you say about 180bhp in a 7 - I had thought though untuned would have meant more like it's "normal" output but it seems that the standard induction system wouldn't fit under the bonnet.

I don't have anywhere near enough money to consider a Duratec, but I was interested by the logic that a home build superlight is probably more expensive than a home build untuned Duratec (again, ignoring resell). And you've got all those other advantages of the Duratec.

Do CC have a home build pricing for 200 CSR? Would be interesting to find out.

Badger - you need to get yourself a BEC again - and bring it over here for the moutain roads!

Caterham are offering a self-build option for the CSR 200 on their website. *confused*

They are well aware of the value of offering their cars as self-build projects so I would be very surprised if the CSR departs from the norm.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV. In the final weeks of gestation. SVA booked/postponed/booked/postponed/booked.

I can't see CC in the long term future staying with K series engines Its just not good sense.

The duratec is the way forward for CC. After wanting a 7 for a few years now and pricing up a starter SV kit and an engine from Raceline I think I am going to hold on a little while to see if the collapse of rover does usher in a new standard powerplant for the 7 - I am sure it will *wink* When though - anyone have any info *eek*

I was sure that CC would have gone the same way as Lotus with the new power plant for the exige Toyota I think 🤔 But I was wrong 3 mths later out comes the CSR news.

Think its worth holding back if you are about to buy and can't strech your pocket money to a CSR........

Although I will say a 140 bhp k powered car test driven for the day did make me smile 😬 😬 😬

looking for a double garage...with an attached house......