Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Erratic rev counter

davef

So yesterday whilst out for a spin I noticed my rev counter was behaving erraticly - jumping all over the place. Today it was worse - sticking at particular points, jumping around, not doing anything. A tap on the glass sometimes 'freed' it up. So, I assume either the bearings on it are sticking, or less likely the electronics are faulty - either way I assume it's not repairable.

Is this a common occurance, and does anybody know roughly how much a new one will be (doesn't appear to be in the Caterham online shop)? Is there an alternative (e.g. from demon tweaks)? The car is a 2000 superlight.

Dave

Edited by - davef on 12 Apr 2005 20:07:45

This "funny" rev counter thing happen to me a while back.

I was going to change the rev counter when it stop as suddently as it appeared *confused*

I would say is one of those grimlins in the loom somewhere rather than a problem with the rev counter or ecu

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

This "funny" rev counter thing happen to me a while back.

I was going to change the rev counter when it stop as suddently as it appeared *confused*

I would say is one of those grimlins in the loom somewhere rather than a problem with the rev counter or ecu

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

is it held in by a clip behind the dash?

Usually two, small, knurled nuts (and washers) holding a large '[' shaped bracket against the back of the dash.

I'd have thought that if it was the crank-sensor, you'd feel the engine misfiring at exactly the same time as the needle went nuts - it the engine is running OK, I'd expect it just to be a wiring/gauge problem.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Pah! *wink*

Unfortunately, peak-power is right up at the top-end of my rev-range, so I've got to use a few of them...

I turned the telltale off before popping over to the local meet tonight - didn't notice any flickering, but then some of the roads are single-track...

The Emerald seemed to think I'd only reached a peak of 7411 rpm - I'll have to check the Sureshift telltale to see if it matches.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Mine went awol not long ago, traced it back to the alternator of all thing, regulator shorting, fixed it with a new alternator, im running a 2.0 zetec......til I trashed it at Oulton Park in the armco.

Rebuilt it never got the rev counter working, got a new one, from CC and still nowt ? so if this is any help please use it, if not anyone help me fix mine now......LOL

Jonny