Click here if you are having website access problems ×

230bhp K-engined caterhams?

321freeflow

Mine used to manage 105mph at Curborough when I remembered to change gear. Its one time at Santa Pod it ran a slow 12.8 (Paul Ranson's first go in the car on a slippery day) with a 116mph speed over the line.

It made 139.8mph down the long straight at Snetterton with a hard limiter set at 7900.

At Llandow it was ~10mph quicker through the speed trap than any other car on the day (club sprint 2002).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F1 engines only show c 85 - 90 ft lbs max per litre don't they ?

My 2075cc BDX showed a peak of 174 ft lbs SAE on a superflow i.e. 84 ft lbs per litre.

My 2lt Hart 420r showed 159 ft lbs with 10.5 cr and the pistons 5'' down the bore (v. poor squish) but I doubt that it will make more than Brian Hart's quoted 170 ft lbs with the pistons 10'' out of the bore and with 12+ to 1 cr i.e. 85 ft lbs per litre.

Home of BDR700

My tuned 2.3 Duratec showed 250bhp/192lbft on Steve's new road, which was consistent with the engine dyno. That's the only road it's been run on though, but I was very impressed with it - the first road you don't have to worry about wheelspin due to the huge single roller.

Finally got to the bottom of my Rolling road power figures seems their RR hit its Max speed !!! hence the plot flat lines at 7223 rpm, that explains the low RPM bhp figure which in turn must have given a squed torque figure as well.

Dont i wish Emerarld was closer......................

cheers

Alex

due to thead hi-jack elsewhere i'll ask here

Steve

(I KNOW **** ALL ABOUT THIS SORT OF STUFF)

have you looked at 1 Lambda per Cylinder

Various length Trumpets (i know you and David did some on this)

8 Injectors on longer trumpets (i know you and David did some on this)

also is there any scope to now increase the dia of the TB's

poss of raising the compression ratio

(AS I SAID, I KNOW **** ALL ABOUT THIS STUFF, JUST ASKING)

any of this have potential for raising figures further?

Lov Yoo

I haven't bothered with the other forum today - I heard that the thread was hijacked - fortunetely the culprit doesn't post on here as far I know....

We onyl had time to try two trumpet combinations. The unequal ones I was running last year, and all the same as V7SLR has (150mm). The latter gave 11bhop extra and loads more torque after 6500, the former gave less after 6500 but better torque below 5000, between 5000 and 6500 was mostly uneffected.

Didn't try double injectors, or a lambda in each primary (not sure how that would be done without a special manifold and mods to the software to monitor all four cylinders. Last year we did try altering the fueling on pairs of cylinders at a time but it made no difference. It was hoped that the pairing the cylinders with the same length trumpets and mapping them as pairs would help but it didn't make any difference.

DW is going to do all these sort of experiments on a 1.9 he's been lent using his dyno making it very easy.....all sorts of combinations of manifolds, exhausts, cam timing, and induction. OPriginal plan was to discover why the caterhams always beat the tranverse installs in Elises/Exiges/340Rs...but we seem to have cracked that by accident now!!!

There could be something to be had from 45mm TBs. DW wondered if there was any point unless the port entry diamter was increased. Oilyhands thinks there could be something to be had - I'll, let him explain!

not too sure what my CR is but given that I had abotu 40 thou off my old VHPD head and only 5 thou off this one so far, I could go higher on CR. But looking at the theoretical max of 96lbft per litre from pump fuel, and that I'm already on 90.5lbft per litre, there isn't really much more to come - not a peak levels anyway. However other areas of the torque curve may still have something to give.

Things I have left to try for more power are running a cat pipe that is the same diameter as the rest of my system. Manifold end and silencer are both 2.5", but the only cat pipe I had available was 2.25". That might give a little extra...

Also the Caterhams use different cam timing, according to DW use 140/110, according to Nige/Oily use 140/115. Whcih ever it is its not the same as my 130/110. And the Caterhams only showed gains with the 1444s over the 1227s with more lift on the inlet cam. So that might help me.

I can feel a return visit to Emerald looming *smile*

SteveB

With reference to the TB's , I'll be trying some tests with different induction soon on my 1.9K. We have 45mm , rollers and my exisiting 42 mm dthtb's . We already know that the 42mm's flow less than the head .

great result Steve and all concerned *thumbup* , can we now call you "lucky Butts" in the true sense *cool* *thumbup* *cool* *smile* *thumbup*

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

wrt monitoring lambda on all headers. More afforable technology is in place to do this, and in theory if the M3D has a spare serial input it could monitor them there, rather than eating up 3 analogue inputs.

However...Individual cylinder trim is most useful on V8s with central 4-bbl inlets, where you get mixture distribution issues so one pot is running lean. With a good zorst and IRTB inlet this should not be an issue. Don't think that thermal gradients would matter much either across a small head.

What little evidence I have shows that on this sort of engine sequential plus individual trim would get you no more than a couple of percent more ( say 5 HP on a 250HP engine) and would take a LOT of mapping to get right. Only worth it for those who REALLY have to win.

As ever happy to be proved wrong :-)

Usually I got called lucky 'cause disasters happened very shortly after the rolling road session....its tempting fate to say I can be called lucky for great result.......

Its my first event tomorrow, with all the extra power I may be able to go faster up the hill without having to drive any better 😬

SteveB

Thanks Paul.

Glad to hear some feedback on the new surface - I never made the test day.

I got quite good at starts last year, best 64ft was 2.03 :) perhaps I'll see the 1.9s this year.

Weather.co.uk says dry on Sat but rain Sun pm :(

SteveB

Oily ,

you on Dave W's dyno ? . I also have a new exhaust manifold and inlet cam to test .

When is the dyno going "live" , its either Daves I will use or Janspeed .

Nige - you recall my concerns to you with the inlet cam lift and the cutouts in the pistons when you were building the engine ?. That was the reason I didnt go with the Scholar pistons with my very large inlet valves . The clearance was like next to nothing when using a 1444 cam lift, and we didnt feel comfortable in machining a piston crown when we didnt have / couldnt get, any data on the crown thickness .

Dave

South Wales AO *thumbup*

@ Steve - I retract any reference to L***y 😬 *thumbup* 😬

@ Peter C - the prospect of the reborn 250bhp K plus the sequential box in your new race car is interesting *tongue* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* are you coming out to play this season . Are you able to make llandow or are you still a ski bum ? *cool*

South Wales AO *thumbup*