Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ferodo DS3000 brake pads

sparkey

I've just bought a set of Ferodo DS3000 pads for my Elan, as they were recommended by a guy at Demon Tweeks as a great track day pad. Unfortunately now I've received them it says on the box "not for road use", ie. they are racing pads.

I use the car on the road more than on track so I was intending to send them back, but first I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience of them ??

Would it be dangerous to use them on the road, and if so why ? Is it that they won't work until very hot ?

Thanks

Sparkey

Just a quick thought, but how do you stand with your road insuarance using non-road pads? If the brakes fail to stop you and you have an accident and they decide to check the car over, etc etc ... ???

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

I found them to be pads for an Elan S2 and not an Elan +2S, which is the car I have, so they have gone back to Demon Tweeks for replacement. - Hopefully next week I'll be able to let you know.

Yes the Insurance bit could be a problem if they were to check, but I'd hope it's unlikely that they'd check. The car is reasonably standard and certainly looks standard so shouldn't arise suspicion. I'll probably try them - if I'm not happy I'll take them off again.

I'm doing a track day at Donnington next week, and if the weather looks dubious I'll probably use the Lotus (no roof on W*******d)so that should be a good test as I'll drive to the circuit.

Sparkey

Sparkey

Contrary to popular belief most race pads are offer acceptable retardation from cold.

I have used ds3000 in my road car without any problems and several performance tuners use them as a standard pad for fast road use.

Initial bite is quite aggressive with a mu of 0.62 against ds2000 which are 0.43 iirc under hard use there is no comparison a sthe ds3000 inspire confidence however hard you push them

cheers

Dave