Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

O/T Kawasaki "big bang"

Old Septimus

During the Jerez Moto GP, the commentators remarked that the Kawasaki 4 cylinder bikes had a revised firing order called "big bang" and implied that two cylinders fired at once, like a four cylinder "twin". Is this right or have I missed something? If so, what is the advantage over a classic 4 cylinder firing order? I don't know whether it's an inline or V engine which might have some bearing on the question.

OS - the yamaha M1 ran that all last season at Rossi's request.

The point about the bikes is that they need real tractability in order to stay on the road, and this configuration gives it to them. Couldn't tell you more than that though - don't know the shape of the crank. I don't think it pushes out any more power, it's to do with being rideable.

both MI Yam and kawasaki are transverse 4's, but fire in 2 pairs separated by 90/270 degrees(i think)

idea is the same as the "big bang" 500 2-strokes in that the pause in firing pulse allows the tyre to regain some grip and gives better drive out of corners with less risk of highsiding

still looks pretty tricky to me 😬

jerry

I read somewhere that the Suzuki British Superbike engines are supposedly doing a similar thing, but to reduce the stress on the stock based internals, they fire one piston first, then two, then one again, almost like a triple with one big piston. A conventional big bang two by two would blow it to bits in a matter of minutes evidently.