Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I hate my car etc etc. -

Alex Wong1697456877

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´m running the plastic-type pulleys and they work fine as long as they´re not used for much more than one year and average mileage. He replaces them each year with every strip of the engine. Some extra grams saved against the metal ones.... *tongue*

Alex, I´m doing Le Sept again this year as the car is now running perfectly for the first time since many years. Someone has to keep up the flags for the VX-brigade.... *smile*

No, just cheaper in the long term. Dismanteling, checking, new pulleys, new cam-belt, new bearings etc. costs me ca. 1k pounds, blowing the engine 10k++....

It´s only April and the engine has already done 75 more or less quick laps at Spa, thats close to 500km....

And it looks shiny and new after each rebuild..... 😬

Alex,

Eric Pasture at Swindon should be able to locate the original dyno test records of your engine with details of the induction system used for testing (remember Alan's spreadsheet?). If you haven't already spoken to him you should do - he is a mine of information & very approachable.

Paul

L7 FUN

Hi Alex,

I've only just seen your post, been a bit slow off the mark. If you still need help on fittings, call me. I can also supply a few photos of JPE standard installations that I gathered when turning the Turbo JPE back to standard spec.

If you ever want to sell the webber throttle boddies, let me know.

Regards

Mike C

K9 JPE

07770 968944

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like it was a valve spring - Outer spring in 4 bits, inside spring in 2 bits.

The new engine was fired up tonight - it started on the button the way a standard K series does and sounded absolutely lovely. I haven't driven it anywhere yet but it seemed to rev very freely and showed good oil pressure. I'll post some details of the installation later (alot more to it than I thought there would be) but I've got a (tired) smile on my face tonight and I would like to state for the record that I don't really hate my car at all..... *smile*

I thought this would be a job I could do in a couple of days but it was harder than I thought. The main problems were due to differences with respect to the the Weber Alpha Loom, the different throttle bodies and the slight differences in shape of the block of a later low noise Vx engine and my old early Vx engine.

As previously mentioned, there's a whole load of gubbins with the Weber Alpha kit that was either not needed or in the ECU box of my DTA ECU - ignition amps, extra resistors, Startup cold air valve, air pressure sensor. The ECU itself was also more than twice the size of the old one so I had to move a load of stuff like wiper motor control units, screen washer pump and fuse/relay box off the back of the baulkhead to fit it. At least the scuttle is now removable with 6 bolts and unplugging the ECU - makes checking the wiring so much easier.

TheWeber throttle bodies are strangely reminiscent of weber carbs - there are screws all over the place (no idea what they all do) and that horrid underslung weber throttle linkage. The biggest prob is that it has a bigger throttle pot that sits exactly where the clutch cable exits the pedal box. With ECR's help, we made a new exit point for the clutch cable which required more changes to my already modified clutch pedal to lift the cable attachment point and get some weight back into the clutch.

The block caused some problems - the started motor fouled against the block (already a prob on the old block) so I gound even more of the started away till it's casing was quite thin on one side. It seats properly now but you can't get a piece of paper between the block and starter - something to keep an eye on. Also, the oil pressure sender wouldn't fit as it fouled the block so with DaveK's help in telling me what bits I needed, I moved both senders (pressure and warning light) via some -4 hose to a more accessable place (near the headlamp fitting so I can check it all with the bonnet off now)

Anyway, it all seems to work (apart from the rev counter) and I have to say that it's been worth it. I do hope I get to drive my car for a bit now!!

Edited by - Alex Wong on 16 May 2005 09:39:23