Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I hate my car etc etc. -

Alex Wong1697456877

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Area Representative

Alex - glad to see last night's trip wasn't in vain *thumbup* 😬 Will you be at the Lichfield meet next week then...

Nick

Now the Orange HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Cheers Nick - thanks for the tip off! Not sure about next week...... Think it'll take 2-3 weeks to sort out - I'm going to enjoy fitting this, unlike the repairs I've done recently which have been a rather miserable experience.

There must be someone out there familiar with the Weber Alpha loom and throttle bodies??

There are bits I don't recognise at all - a Solex pump - ?? is this a fuel pump? - the fittings look rather large for fuel. Also Funny Gold things with heat fins on them attached to the loom, 2 flat metal things that attach to the loom - seen R500's with these - An air pressure sensor (I think) where do I fit this?

Edited by - Alex Wong on 13 Apr 2005 15:51:25

Alex

yes same as mine, small connection on TB's goes to top of expansion tank, lower connection on Expansion goes into T on lower radiator hose (well into the metal bit that joins it to the hockey stick hose into the water pump)

I can take pictures if required *thumbup*

Mark

The gold things are resistors, I assume related to the ignition since there are two of them. The flat metal things may be ignition amps, your description isn't exactly detailed..... A photo would help. Anyway I think it all needs to be bolted down near the ECU itself, which given its antiquity may want to be rubber mounted. There should be a air temperature sensor mounted in the inlet somewhere, perhaps in the filter mounting and a barometric pressure sensor which just needs to be mounted somewhere reasonably sheltered. I don't recall anything else...

It might be more elegant to make use of your DTA and associated bits coupled with a session on a Dyno. The Weber Alpha ECU is very old now. Certainly I'd consider this for the future.

Paul

Thanks Paul. That helps alot - Have identified the amps and resisters, and the air temp sensor. I also have a air pressure sensor which I'll fit onto the bulkhead with all the amps. There sure are alot of bits that aren't part of my DTA setup!

I also have a Solex unit that has quite large bore inlet and outlets and a female electrical connector. I think this is a ECU controlled Cold start air valve. Do you know anything about this?

ECR suggested the same with respect to the ECU, but I think I'll just get it all in as Swindon had it on the dyno and let upgraditis take it's effect in a year or so!

Edited by - Alex Wong on 13 Apr 2005 17:23:07

Edited by - Alex Wong on 13 Apr 2005 17:44:14

I also have a Solex unit that has quite large bore inlet and outlets and a female electrical connector. I think this is a ECU controlled Cold start air valve. Do you know anything about this?

This rings no bells. I had a Swindon Vauxhall engine in my Pilbeam that was fitted with Weber Alpha management but Swindon roller throttles. The engine wiring loom was very road car and the bits fitted your description...

Paul

Thanks Paul - it is a cold air valve for starting - a road car bit I suspect but I'll stick it on anyway and see what it does.

Just found out that Swindon use larger flywheel bolts - 7/16UNF

The engine was built in July 1997 and Swindon kept it as the customer never paid. Swindon checked it over and ran it on a dyno in 2002 before selling it. It showed near to 250BHP. Hopefully my ex-DaveK custom built exhaust will help it keep most of those ponies!

EFA - if they dyno'd it without the inlet manifold - what do you think they used? Surely they'd dyno it with the inlet manifold and Weber Alpha TB's.

Anyway, if it's only 220BHP, it'll make me smile even more if and when I scalp me a duratec!

Edited by - Alex Wong on 14 Apr 2005 17:47:24

Have worked out most of the loom but I'm unsure about the ignition amps and resistors - there is what looks like a ground lead with two ring connectors for easch ignition amp - are these ground connections and why are there two connectors? Should the resistor be on one of them and the amp on the other?

Any help would be much appreciated.

It's interesting just how different this engine is to my old one - the cam belt pulleys are smaller and not adjustable, the belt is a more square tooth profile, the pulleys at the front are totally different (with a self tensioning mechanism and some plastic pulleys! - scary!) the block is different - my sensor fittings are the right thread but there isn't as much room for the oil pressure sender - need to bring that out on a bit of hose. The back of the head (This is a coscast one) is different - seems a slightly narrower shape and there were two ports on the back of the old one (one was always blanked off) - this one has one port (the one for the heater) which is blanked off and a different shape allowing fitment of a bespoke coil pack bracket which doesn't fit my old engine.

Edited by - Alex Wong on 18 Apr 2005 09:01:54

Edited by - Alex Wong on 18 Apr 2005 09:15:17

Did you already fit the engine or do you still have time to fit a steel-flywheel ? The original JPE is a turned down cast one, surely you remember the pictures of Joachims exploded flywheel, which was also an original JPE one. Please check that, I´d love to have a beer with you & Rebecca again sometime in the future... *wink*

Good luck with further fitting.

Have ordered a new steel flywheel but it needs to be drilled out to allow the larger bolts that Swindon use. Hoping to get that this week. Thanks for the reminder about Joachim's flywheel - feel better about spending the money on the new one!

Good to hear from you Marius - Are you doing Le Sept this year? - sadly, we can't and I've cancelled all the sprints and trackdays I'd entered - have spent too much on fixing the car to be able to afford to use it!!

I'm not a Vx expert, but your comment about the plastic pulleys made me think of the following (from www.monoposto.co.uk):

------------------------------

POSSIBLE CAM BELT FAILURE ON VAUXHALL ENGINES !

Some of you may have seen the item on "Watchdog" which alerted me to the possible problem with a faulty component in the Vauxhall 16v 2 l engine. I have investigated the matter with the help of the local Vauxhall dealer with the following results.

There are two variants of the Vauxhall 16v 2 l engine. The change point is at engine no 14142838. The later engines have a modified cam drive and cam belt arrangement, which appears to have been carried over onto the Ecotec engine. I have the later engine, which has two idler wheels on the cam drive train. The original wheels are made of a plastic material and carry the marking "para GF50 ". These are the wheels that are the subject of a Vauxhall recall, and should be replaced with wheels made of a rubberised material.

If you have a complete Vauxhall road car, Vauxhall will change these wheels FOC. They won,t exchange the wheels though of a buckshee engine - so the cost to Monoposto racers is around £30 - cheaper than a cam belt failure I suppose !

By the way Vauxhalls recall campaign is aimed only at '94 on (Ecotec engined ?) cars, they don’t cough to a problem with the earlier 16v engine, but mine had the rogue wheels fitted !

---------------------------------------

Mike

Alex,

They likely dynoed it with a Swindon manifold. All at SRE consider the Caterham manifodl such a bad design, they would not fit it. Same goes for the exhaust.

Maybe though its got Swindon Roller Barrels and you just have not realised yet.......

As for my cam belt idlers,mine are the metal type. Change the bolts for the idelers though as well! I think Chelspeed had one of these snap in action???