Click here if you are having website access problems ×

I hate my car etc etc. -

Alex Wong1697456877

I'd just about finished repairs from the Marrakesh rally and took it to a rolling road to tidy up the cold starting and generally fine tune the map. - The bloody things gone bang on a rolling road - sounds like it dropped a valve at just 1/2 load and 3000rpm. It had been making a loud ticking tappety noise in the second half of the rally but seemed to be running fine. It isn't now.

AAAaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh........... *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad* *mad*

Edited by - Alex Wong on 16 May 2005 00:11:14

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all.....

Not desparate enough to want a K series yet. I'm insecure enough to need my big butch Vx lump, even if it's crippled.

Apart from the Rally, it's about 18 months since I had a car that ran and it hasn't felt right since the waterpump TDC incident in France in 2002. (broke 8 valves that time). Not that I can afford it but a nice x-flow or Supersport to use for when VDU is in bits is becomming a very appealing thought.....

Mark, Mine are +1mm inlet and outlet - but thanks anyway. *thumbup*

Edited by - Alex Wong on 12 Apr 2005 00:40:11

...and just to really cheer you up Alex, my crossflow let go at just over 6,000rpm on the RR earlier this year when the front spigot(?) detached itself from the crankshaft when the woodruff key let go. It bent three pushrods...

Having feared the worst, it was a hell of a relief. Not gloating, I hope, but maybe the damage won't be as bad as you fear. Fingers crossed anyway. *thumbup*

Good luck.

Andy

Thank you all for your kind words,

It would appear that one of the number 3 inlet valves has broken near the stem to head radius. The piston has repeatedly smashed into the protruding valve stem and the head of the valve has been rammed sideways into the valve seat and cracked the head. The number 3 bore is scored badly. The head's scrap, the block at best needs re-lining - but is probably not worth doing and the piston crown looks like someone fired a shotgun point blank into it.

These were 7mm stem, +1mm head valves running on standard guides.

I'm guessing the initial failure was a valve spring - something that I've had fail before on the engine.

I can't really live with a step down in power, and a change in engine would bring about extra costs and no suprise, I rather like the XE lump. I think I have a good set of steel rods, a good lightened and balanced standard crank. A pair or Q450 QED cams, DaveK's custom made equal length primary exhaust, a lightweight itty bitty flywheel complete with it's non standard starter and a pair of 45 DCOE style throttle bodies and the injection kit with DTA ECU - Question is, do I want a "bitza" engine or can I find the money for a complete Swindon built unit (which is what I'd really like). I suspect the former option is more realistic but I need a good standard head and block to get started.

C'est la vie. Anybody know of a good standard XE engine or a coscast head for sale? I've seen a few on E-bay but difficult to tell if they're good......

Edited by - Alex Wong on 12 Apr 2005 07:31:50

Mark,

Thanks *thumbup*

Not sure I could pay you what it's worth though - a standard engine can be had for £400 and I'd be stripping your engine down and pretty much disposing all the good bits to start to get back to where I was - near 250BHP.

I suspect your engine is worth more than £400 to somebody. Is it a Swindon 218 engine?

Alex

The funny thing is, I don't hate the car at all, and in a strange way, I'm glad the engine's killed itself. It's kind of a ctrl-alt-del technique to fixing the problem but I just had a feeling things weren't right since soon after starting the rally.

Ignorance is not blissful when it comes to engines. Cold facts are easier to deal with, even if I don't know quite how I'm going to get out of this mess at this time.

Very tired but a quick update

Have bought and picked up an unused Swindon JPE engine - it's was one of the last ones built and has been lovingly looked after in somebody's living room. The owner turned it by hand every now and then and it looks immaculate, with all the supporting paperwork from Swindon.

Just need to get my head around a few things like the loom and the fact that the water plumbing has been blanked off at the back of the head and on the inlet manifold (the little fitting that goes to the top of the header tank is the only water fitting I can see on the head.)

Very tired, but very very excited.........

Can anybody shed light on the wiring loom and the head water plumbing?

Edited by - Alex Wong on 13 Apr 2005 09:17:51

Silly me - yes it has the thermostat housing and the small fitting on the inlet manifold to the top of the header tank. The back is blanked off and the larger inlet manifold fitting that the bottom of the header tank was plumbed into are blanked off.

If this is the same as yours, where is your header tank plumbed into?