Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

anti cav sandwich plate sealing

Tin Man

Well, I have made sure that mine had a skim of grease on the rubber sandwich plate seal, then used a 1" ring spanner to really tighten up the retaining boss.

I found that originally the pipes fouled on the block and although the boss looked as if it would pull the s/plate up square in fact it wouldn't/couldn't! I can't see how the job can be done properly without removing this 'excess' piece of engine block.

I'd suggest two things: (1) ensure the plate is absolutely square on the mounting flange before tightening the sleeve, and (2) check the torque of the retaining sleeve.

When I fitted my kit, I spent a lot of time trial-fitting the inboard pipe so that sideways pressure from the engine block didn't prevent the sandwich plate pulling up square. Even then, I had a small weep from the plate. When I asked Caterham about the torque setting for the retaining sleeve, they said there wasn't an official one, but to try working up to 30lbft. I went up step-wise, but chickened out at 20 for fear of pulling the thread. Anyway, I seem to have fixed it as, although there was a microscopic leak from the plate for a couple of weeks, it's now (2000 miles later) 100% oiltight!

If you want (really want) a blow-by-blow account of the troubles I encountered, see Sep 2001 LF.

Btw, when you say "fitted", was it by a commercial outfit? It seems an obvious question, but have you asked them to fix the leak? If so, what was their reaction?

JV

• Area Representative
I had the anti cav tank fitted during my 6000 mile service. The service centre is a 100 miles away! I have phoned them & they will fix the problem, but it`s a long drive if I can fix it myself. I put the 7 on the stands today & had a good look. It appears that the oil my be coming from one of the unions & running down the sandwich plate. It looks a pig of a job to tighten up the unions!!

It is, Tin Man, it is! Especially if it's the one nearer the block. Even when I'd cured the plate leak, I still had a small leak at that union. I didn't have the required crowsfoot(?) tool, so ended up stripping out the whole thing--plate, pipes, tank and all--and tightening the union at the bench. After that, no problems.

JV

I had the same thing after fitting it myself, with a lot of skilled help from my daughter's boy friend. Took it back to Caterham who fixed it, but it still leaked. However this leak cured itself very quickley. Just give it time to settle in or make the journey.

Mick