Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.4 K series upgrade

jono

I have a 1.4 supersport with fairly high miles (57k) but still going strong. I would like to increase power a bit and in particular torque. The obvious choice is to go 1.6 or 1.8 but I do like the high revving sweet (for a K) nature of the engine and in some respects would like to stick to the originality of the car. What routes are available for a modest power increase and is it worth it without thinking a about a full rebuild bearing in mind mileage? Would vernier cam timing be worthwhile and what sort of imporvement could I expect and at what sort of cost?

OK as a 1.4ss owner here goes:

Vernier pulleys (correctly timed), 6-speed box, 4-2-1 exhaust, lightweight flywheel (Caterham do not make them anymore though ☹️ )

Loose weight: heater, screen; carpets; lighter seats; perhaps loose the spare (I rather like the look of it) so mine is staying on.

All whilst keeping the fun revvy 1.4 engine.

I to had a 1400SS for many years and fitted verniers / ported head, both of which made a difference, but not that great.

Last month when I swapped the bottom end of the engine for an 1800 short engine from Oilyhands - the difference in torque/power, and response, is amazing.

The best bit of the conversion is all I changed was the bottom end of the engine (and the injectors); the head, manifolds and electrics all remain standard. The engine starts, idles and runs fine on the original MEMs ecu.

And it would be very easy to convert back to the original 1400 if needed.

My 1.4K SS sounds almost exactly the same as yours (60K miles and still going strong).

I've just put on a powerspeed 4-2-1 exhaust and it's made a big difference. The engine seems to rev more freely all through the range with the rev limiter light being much more easy to make come on now!

There seems to be more mid range torque and the peakiness of the power band after 4000 revs has been smoothed out. Definately a worthwhile investment.

Also new verniers are in my garage waiting to be put on.

Ian

• 5 months later...

Jono

still here!! - yes I've put the verniers on about three months ago - (or more accurately I put them on, then Johnty and Simon from the NI Se7ens group moved the cambelt to the right position and timed them so they worked!).

They have definitely made a difference, the car feels much more responsive, especially in the mid range and seems to have become even more free revving (if that's possible).

I would recommend them, but I don't think there is anything else I would upgrade on the current spec - it'll be a 1.8 next but I'll wait until this one goes bang!

Ian

Sorry for the slight hijack, but when you upgrade to the 1800 do you need a new diff - I have the 6 speed gearbox and with 6th at 1:1 5000rpm = roughly 80mph and the top speed is a theoretical 115mph (never had it that far though).

Is the benefit of of the 1800 just that you get there quicker? I imagine if you don't change the diff or gear box the top speeds and revs/mph don't change either.

Not that I've got any money to do the changes anyway!

You don't need a new diff. With the 1800 engine you might just be able to reach V-Max with a windscreen on. The engine upgrade should give you more torque through the revs - it doesn't add that much power to the top end. However, this might depend on whether you have the 3.6 diff or the 3.9 diff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*