Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Squeal on right-handers

dhague

For some time now, I've noticed an increasing tendency for tyre squeal coming from the outer-rear when turning right - initially when driving hard around roundabouts, but now on more and more 'normal' right hand bends.

Does anyone have a clue what might be causing this? I don't think the tyre's rubbing against anything (since there are no scrub marks which would give it away). Could it be a damper? I had to replace the front dampers earlier in the year (oil was seeping from the left-hand one, i.e. the same side which is squealing), and I'm wondering if hard cornering on roundabouts together with some limited trackday abuse (including 2 or 3 spins & kerb-hops) might have damaged it. Or is it just road-camber and Avon ZZ1s?

- Darren.

Hi,

I also have a slight squeal when taking r/abouts a bit quick, although mostly the tight ones. I don't think mine is caused by the tires though, to me it sounds more mechanical, but can find nothing wrong. I have pretty new dampers so I doubt it is them and have given up trying to find it. I will take a few r/abouts quick when in Spain next year to see if it does it the other way too wink.gif

I am running a live axle, and suspect it could be something in a bearing somewhere.

Have you checked your wheel bearings?

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

It definitely happens more with Alina on board - and she weighs a few kilos more than I do. Also, it's definitely tyre squeal, not bearings. The car has a deDion rear end.

I'm tempted to swap the dampers over from left to right on the rear - this should tell me if they are the problem. Are there any 'gotchas' I need to know about when doing this?

- Darren

I had exactly the same problem on a track during the Le Sept trip. As Roger Swift was running the same tyres and is expert in all matters relating to driving fast I asked why he thought I was getting tyre squeel on right handers and not on left handers.

His answer was that I was not driving fast enough round left handers. Who needs advice when given wisdom instead?

Thanks all - I do have an LSD fitted, and definitely get it in multi-storeys quite a lot. I'll get the tracking checked, but it could well be the limited slip, as suggested. Must try and find some tight left-handers to play with... smile.gif

Cheers,

Darren.

Not read all of this so dont know if it has been mentioned...

My SL on 13s rubs the front wheels on the wing mounts.... have you checked this?

When stopped there is about 3mm of clearence but you can see the "shine" on the edges of the tyres.

X777CAT

I think I've worked out why there is squeal on right handers - something I remember from biking days, when the thread was 'why can I go faster round left-handers?'.

The answer, my friends, is road camber. Since we drive on the left, whenever we go right we are travelling on adverse camber. When turning left, the camber helps us. Hence, for the same speed (near to the traction limit), the limit is exceeded going right (hence the squeal) and not when going left.

If I'm right, I shouldn't have the same effect on a track, since clipping the apex means that the camber is always positive. Similarly, the reverse phenomenon should be observed on the continent. I shall report on both og these when I get the opportunity.

Cheers,

Darren.