Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine not switching off???

david nelson

We all know there is a problem when the fan is running but i turn the ignition switch off and the engine is still running. The only way to swich it off is to stool it.

This 1st happend in november at a track day and I thought it was a battery problem. I have fitted a new battery and all seemed well till today.

This problem does not occur all the time any ideas please?

Is there away to drain the power down quickly if the fan is running and the ignition is off? (if this is the problem)

David

Mark

it an aircraft switch on/off and a red started button.

The 1st time it happened in November it had a key 1st stage and a started button.

Today had a good blat 20mins then stop no problem, then about 10 mins later though i should check the oil. restart fine then switched off and engine continued to go. stoped it by puting into 1st. tried again same thing. then went for a drive 10 min switch off 1st time. drove home later and switched off again.

I would not be to bothered but do not what to get pulled up at scrutinering next weekend..

David

I had a Ford which had this problem, when the lights were switched on, sometimes it wouldn't switch off at the key, turned out to be the lighting relay sticking ON, back feeding +ve 12 to the ignition, changed the relay and no further faults, could be something like this on your car.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

EU2 Elises had often this problem (engine not switching off with lights on) and the usual cause was inverted polarity on the cig lighter.

Sharing the same ECU, I think you should look for a bulb (or another electrical device) which is ON when you have the problem (cooling fan, brake lights, etc.), then check the polarity of this device.

edited to clarify the last sentence:it is the earth of the operating device (must be an 'unswitched' device) which feeds the ECU via another (swithched) device...

bugger it is difficult without a drawing!

Carlo

Edited by - elise_s1 on 12 Apr 2005 10:06:26