Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Petty Strut - odd thread size

mark260463

I am just about to fit my petty strut and have a query re the bolt size that mounts in the foot well.

I know the size should be 7/16th UNF, however this just spins in the bush - I have bent the trim panel back as far as I can to get a good look and it does not appear to be either spinning or cross threaded.

I have tired an M10 metric and it goes in fine ?

1) Has anyone come across this or got any views?

2) Do Arch use an M10 similar bush elsewhere on the car and could have got them mixed up ?

Mark

20 years with no points then I buy this bloody thing

The one on my 2003 SV is M10 x 1.25 (I measured 11mm dia on the "top" of the thread and 10mm dia on the "bottom" - if you know what I mean 😬 ) it's that upon which I'm basing the M10, the thread gauge showed 1.25

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

• Area Representative

I think you'll find that it it is a UNF thread!

I'd be very cautious anout going from the tread guage! 7/16UNF is 20 tpi, which works out a 1.27mm pitch! Too close to check with a thread guage unless you've a long thread guage! you'd be looking for less than .4mm over the normal 15mm of a thread guage!

Mark, are you sure its a 7/16 UNF bolt that you're using? What size spanner fits it?

Guys

Having stripped the car - it is without doubt M10

As I said the 7/16th UNF just pushed straight through the hole.

It may be that Arch brazed the wrong one in - but who cares now I know what it is

Mark

• Area Representative

But 7/16UNF is bigger than M10. So its either smaller than 7/16UNF, or bigger than M10 *confused* *confused*

An M10 bolt may APPEAR to fit, but may only just be catching in the socket!

Just checked and metric thread size is the male thread diameter - so the bolt that fits my Petty Strut, being 11mm diameter is NOT an M10.

I'm trying to discover how a 7/16" UNF bolt is physically measured - anyone know?

If one bolt you have runs in OK and one doesn't - use the one that fits 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Just checked and metric thread size is the male thread diameter - so the bolt that fits my Petty Strut, being 11mm diameter is NOT an M10.

I'm trying to discover how a 7/16" UNF bolt is physically measured - anyone know?

If one bolt you have runs in OK and one doesn't - use the one that fits 😬

OK

Final result.

After talking to Bruce at Arch.

They fit 7/16th, and then after fitting they are all run through with a tap to clean them out - so even if a "rougue" M10 had got bthough the tapping process would have identified it.

So - with a great deal of courage I tapped mine and yes, it was 7/16th and not M10.

I did a load of experimnenting first and yes an M10 bolt would appear to go corretclty into a 7/16th nut, but not quite.

Thanks to all those who contributed..............just goes to show that perfection and persistance counts when fitting safety items.

Mark

Mark