Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

oil pressures

Ade Ray

my 7 has a 16oo cross-flow. When first switched on my car indicates 4 bar. Once warmed up it reads 1.5 bar at idle and 4 bar on anything above 3000 revs. Is this normal or is this high?

I also am finding a quantity of oil sitting on the oil filler cap and down the side of the rocker cover next to it. Not very much but enough for me to think that something may be up.

There may be no link but I was recently on a track day at Cadwell Park (thank you Slipstream)and my car was refusing to restart after a session on the track without my cleaning the plugs. This was something I did not and have not since experienced in general road use.

Any ideas greatly apreciated

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

Hi,

Your oil pressures sounds fine to me. My 1600 x/flow runs at the same levels, 4 bar on anything above 2500-3000 rpm, just about 1 bar at idle.

However, mine has never needed the plugs to be cleaned in order to restart. Is it still doing this or was it only at Cadwell - if only Cadwell then I would be inclined to think that the stresses of the track. What were you cleaning off of the plugs? Oil or were they soaked in fuel? Oil could indicate possible worn rings and oil passing them.

Do you have an oil catch tank? If not then this will explain the oil around the filler cap as if it is the black one with what looks like wire wool in it, this is where the engine breaths.

Not an expert, but never had these problems with in my 16,500 miles. Just loads of others smile.gif

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

Edited by - philwaters on 18 Oct 2001 14:04:43

I was out last night and funny enough watching the oil pressure gauge to establish exactly what the pressure was, from cold it was reading between 4.5 - 5.0 bar, is this good confused.gif

I changed a few years back from a fully synthetic to a semi-synthetic oil on a recomendation that this improves oil pressure, it seams it certainly has.

The crossflow engines done 5500 miles from new supplied by Caterham, still looks new ! perhaps it will be worth a few bob in a couple years any offers, only joking. thumbsup.gif

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 19 Oct 2001 08:16:05

Hey Bafty, don't flood the market while I am looking to sell mine teeth.gif

Roger, I thought you were meant to be on holiday - you know, taking a break from it all, not thinking 7's wink.gif

Phil Waters

"Darling, DO you love the 7 more than me?"

"Driving OR Fixing?"

Caterham on the brain, Caterham around the body! wink.gif

Edited by - philwaters on 19 Oct 2001 08:54:27