Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

handbrake fitting under dash

NickB7

I am building academy car with handbrake under the dash, the caterham manual for de dion does not cover it. How does the handbrake lever attach to the bulkhead? Do I need to drill through the bulkhead? Also at the cable end by the gearbox is there a "best route" to keep the cable away from the gearbox. It looks like it fixes under the prop in a mounting in the chassis but after that i am not too sure - thanks

S31VEN

I almost learned the hard way on this one. The factory fit the cable through the bulkhead and down the inside of the transmission tunnel on the passenger side. It MUST be p-clipped to the tunnel every 6 inches as well as pass through the loop just behind the gearbox. Otherwise, Mr MOT-man will claim that it fouls the prop-shaft and fail you. Similar arrangements apply to the fuel line on the opposite side of the tunnel.

Cheers,

Graham

Nick

My classic ( 3 months old) has 2 very narrow ' pins' (look like very narrow bolts) in the tunnel. I just fastened the cable to them with the pastic tywraps. No problem with the SVA

Chris

PS

Do you have a live axle on academy cars ?