Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Longcross

Mark Durrant

Great day *thumbup* Great competition *thumbup* Great course *thumbup*

Flat in 6th on the rev limiter on 2 sections of the course *eek*

Airborne over the crest *eek*

Sideways flat in 3rd towards the spectators *eek*

Sideways flat in 4th round a blind bend and over a crest *eek*

This venue gets my vote for the craziest most dangerous course I have ever driven , I'm glad we didnt have any more runs as I think some of us would have been in the trees at 145 mph *eek* 😬

😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Sounds like everone enjoyed it then 😬

I've been going there for three years now and still haven't got a full run right. I have to say that last year in the rain was more enteretaining than yesterday though - the big power cars didn't have much (if any) advantage, so all the times weer much closer. And if you think the snake was scary in the dry, try doing it in a monsoon! 😬 😬

I talked to the organisers about the rumours that Longcross is to be sold for development. They seem to think it will be OK for about 5 years as it is ex military land, and there is some legal time limit to developing that. But, as we saw yesterday, the local NIMBYs are likely to influence future events to some extent. ☹️

S&CMC also seemed very happy to finally have a full entry for the event. Mainly down to a load of hooligans in 7s 😳. A couple of locals who were spectating were a bit peeved to not have entries, but as they got their forms two weeks ahead of L7C members, I think that's their own fault!

So will this become a regular club venue then?

R

PS; if you want to practice the course, I'm told you can hire Longcross. £2500 a day!

Having been before I knew this was an excellent venue (my favourite course), having lots of other 7s for company and the excellent weather made it a superb day. Two extra goes at the snake courtesy of some red flagging meant that I got seven chances to scare myself.

I'm planning to do the July event, but running in the normal class will need to acquire some sticky 1B tyres - I hope the snake (running in the other direction) will still be as much fun with tyres that grip! May also dump the windscreen for a few extra MPH. My 110 over the line was a bit weedy in comparison to some.

Interesting to hear about the Lenham coupe. One of the startline Marshalls (Chris - can't remember his surname) has a Lotus Seven Series 2, owned from new and similarly developed over the years. Shame he was marshalling and not driving. I didn't realise waht was under the bonnet of the Magnette either. It was going unreasonably quickly.

Jonathan

Wow! What a great day! I really enjoyed that 😬

Congratulations to the class winners and to Brodie for FTD.

Commiserations to those with bent bits.

Thanks for all the kind enquiries as to my welfare after the last run. The car and I were both fine. I was a bit wide coming out of the hairpin, put a rear wheel on the gravel, and, after a bit of over-correction, parked the car across the track 😳. Having restarted the engine and completed my 3-point turn I continued on my merry way. *biggrin*. Ithink the phrase is "... and I was doing so well up to then"

Having made myself feel sick on my first run coming down out of the snake 😳(I don't do fairground rides for that very reason), I never really put my foot down there. But that last section was awesome 😬. I doubt that I will ever drive the car that fast again: 7000rpm in 6th - where's that extra gear when you need it 🤔

The weather made for a perfect day - we even managed to get home and unloaded in the dry *smile*

... and I may have scored a championship point or two *biggrin*

See you all at Llandow. The smile may still be on my face 😬

Mrs Kipper

Life is not a rehearsal

It sounds as though I missed a fabulous event, although at the time the entry closed I wasn't convinced the car would be ready.

It's not often the top speed of our cars is challenged on any event, but flat in 6th is pretty scary I would imagine.

Dave, what is your new car geared for at vmax as the previous fastest I've seen a seven go is Chelspeed at Aintree where I think he crossed the line at 137.

See you next week at Llandow *thumbup*

I'm not realy sure what the speed actually was as my bike coputer doesnt yet work with the A24 ACB wheels .

According to the gearing calculator thingy on Arnies site it was about 140 mph on the limiter in 6th, there were several of us on the rev limiters in 6th *tongue*

I asked Graham Ford what he was pulling and he simply replied "your ****ing crazy, I dare not look" 😬 *thumbup*

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 18 Apr 2005 09:50:48

just have to say what an amazing venue *cool* kind of puts some other venues to shame 😳

from adams video you never got a sense of the change in gradient and the speed of the course

a great day,especially as the forecast was for rain, and the first spots of rain fell as I ws leving the paddock in the tow barge 😬

congrats to all the winners etc *thumbup*

can we go back please 😬

rob

Ps - I thought some of the marshalling at the hairpin was downright stupid and dangerous ☹️

what an amasing circuit...must take several pairs of clean underwear next time *tongue* that brow is flippen scarey

instantly became my favourite sprint venue *thumbup* though

Thanks To BB for getting us in there *thumbup* *thumbup*

Gordy

Wow- what a sprint! I agree with Gordon here, an instant fave *thumbup* That course had everything but the kitchen sink!

Also my first (on purpose) jump in a car! 😬 - I hope Dad does'nt read this *eek*

Despite my rear wing mashing (why didnt the marshalls just put cones on the outside of the hairpin, instead of a bloody great metal fence!) I had an absaloute blast round the course, I am still smiling now 😬

Well done to Mrs Kipper with a very respectable performance indeed *smile*

'I talked to the organisers about the rumours that Longcross is to be sold for development. They seem to think it will be OK for about 5 years'

Longcross has been sold to a housing developer but they couldn't get the permission to build the type of houses they wanted. They have therefore decided to continue running it as a test venue for the time being. I'm sure they will get their way in the end.

Agree with you Matt, the marshalling at the hairpin was very poor.

None of the people actually standing around with flags etc seemed to know what to do.

The metal railings on the outside of the bend was sheer stupidity when they had plenty of cones.

At least you weren't in the Cerbera that hit the metalwork...his bill's likely to be slightly higher than your Dad's

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

I notice they spell Chieftain correctly on their website *smile* I don't know what's up with my form so far this year, struggling at Loton and three seconds of my sparring partner's (Griff) time at Longcross! For the time being I'm hanging onto the belief that the front tyres in particular haven't bedded in after buffing at DT - I can't use that one for much longer though!

Frustrated Ken