Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Starter Solenoid Wiring Question

Northern Banana

Friend managed to source me a new solenoid however it has an addition wiring point.

Any anyone advise from the pic here which wiring blade I should use.

I know where the nut and bolt connectors need to be wired, but not the blade connectors.

On the old solenoid the only connector was at the top (as you look at the photo), but from the pic you will see that this connector is rather large.

Just wanted to check other opinions.

Thanks.

Northern Banana.co.uk

Paul

You should have a red and brown wire with spade connector that will probably only fit on the small spade terminal. This comes from a multi pin plug on the engine wiring loom-pin 4. This is the feed for the solenoid so I assume the large spade terminal is an earth to ensure a good connection. Is there not an earth symbol next to the terminal?

Try without earth first and if no joy try earthing to the engine with a length of wire,

'The Polisher'

Mad about S77ENS

• Area Representative

Paul

I think Dave is probably correct, but suggest you 'try' the solenoid/starter before fitting to car.

Simply earth the solenoid (piece of wire to body) and then use a live feed to touch the small terminal. Should activate the solenoid. You could of course test the entire starter - use jump leads to temporarilly wire starter and activate solenoid. Do it with starter on floor and held down by your foot!!

I also think it's probably an earth connection. One way to safely test this theory is to put an ohmmeter between that connection and any part of the metal body of the solenoid. Obviously, if it is an earth, you short get zero ohms.

The other possibility (also can be checked with the ohmmeter) is that it is directly connected to the solenoid feed connector (ie: the other small spade connector). Sometimes a batch of low current +12v feeds are joined together for convenience at the solenoid and it may be they have provided an additional terminal for this purpose.

Anyway the ohmmeter will reveal all.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here