Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cooling 1.8k

David Hopkins

GN51 UPX

I seem to have been successful in fixing my overheating problem by jacking front of car up running til water circulates then switch off , cool down , then open bleed port in top of rad and fill with coolant . Needed to do this about 5 times before I could add no more water .

My only issue now seems to be that the fan seems to cut in a lot when perhaps you would not expect it , even after a hi speed run , strange or not ??? Since I havent had the car running reliably in terms of cooling since I put it on the road I am not sure what to expect . Any views here .

Also I have just filled with anti freeze , I am using Bluecol . Are there any compatibility issues with this and K series engines .

I would expect the fan to come on especially after a high speed run. There is increased heat to dissipate, and a reduced airflow to the rad, 'cos of the slower speed..........

As for the antifreeze question, check out the "Coolant loss on 1.8K" thread, just down the page.......

Edited by - Blatman on 17 Oct 2001 13:39:04

David - here is a snippet from a a certain Mr Lyons on the 7's list where there has been a lot of talk on this subject

"i am sorry but i am shouting here deliberatly at the risk of being barred i have posted time and time again on this list month after month and some of you dont listen and thus pay the penalty. in a k series engine whatever its fitted to unless you want to suffer serious damage as discussed in the last day or so you need to use and only use [ with the exception which proves the rule of the comma product see peters post] unipart product gec3020 superplus4 it is available from any major rover/unipart dealer in 20ltr containers and should be used neat ie no water it is a monopropylene glycol use of any other coolant/antifreeze is a major no no this has been well documented onlist for the past 4yrs. i rest my case. ps it is permissable to mix 1/2 bottle of redline watter wetter per fill with this which will aid heat transfer from the engine metal to the water and conversley from the water to the radiator surface. again sorry for shouting but the lesson is not being learnt."

rob

If you do go to a Rover dealer, then you need to check what they give you.

I went down to my local Rover dealer and asked for their recommended coolant for the K-series engine and was given Unipart Superplus2 which is a very different dilutable product.

I spoke to the workshop manager and confirmed that the dealership was using plus2 for customer vehicles, but decided not go with the Comma premix instead.

Miraz

I think I'll do something on this thread now smile.gif

The Superplus 4 is the pre-mixed one. The code is GEC30**, where ** = 01, 02, 05, 20. The last two digits denote the quantity in litres. (This seems to be the method by which all Unipart fluids are specified.)

Miraz, when you asked the Rover dealer for the Rover-recommended coolant, they were technically correct in what they were going to supply you. Probably best to regard the 3 and 4 year as simply higher-spec coolants.

Nick.

FWIW I have a stable cooling system in my K series by doing the following:

1. Use the approved high spec Rover/Coldstream A/F.

2. Use a water wetter product.

3. Ensure the expansion tank is filled to the max mark.

4. Remove the heater as this was the cause of my air in system (7kgs when dry!!).

5. For those with an aftermarket ECU: ditch the thermo switch & arrange switching of the rad fan via the ECU.

6. Fit a rad fan override switch (just in case!).