Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Your first Sprint?

Chris__

What was it like, what mistakes did you make, what did you forget to take along with you? Any advice you'd have been glad to receive beforehand... that you didn't!?

Cheers,

Chris - My first sprint is Curborough in May.. *smile*

• Area Representative

My first sprint was Curborough May 2002.

I got there too late - got stuck in the que for scrutineering - missed the opportunity to walk the course - arrived late for my first practice run - drove too slowly

I now aim to be early, with plenty of time to walk the course BEFORE scrutineering opens

Have you got a mentor? It's worth while finding someone to show you the ropes on the day.

Curborough is quite tricky - it's very worthwhile walking the course with someone who knows how to get round quickly and is prepared to share a few tips. I manage to shave almost three seconds off my previous best time after a little coaching.

Your first sprint is cool......No matter how much you tell yourself it's just a little event and all you're doing is driving round a course, you'll still get mega butterflies.

When you're sitting in the queue waiting to do your first run, you'll be watching the others start, twiddling your fingers & trying to make sure that you actually understand what's going to happen with the start marshalls.

When you get to the start, in spite of everyone else making it look so simple, you're bound to do something wrong like leaving your foot on the brake when they try and push you up to the line or not understanding their signal for you to close your visor or do the top of your overalls up and they'll have to explain it to you. This will amplify any nervousness you were feeling and you won't even have started your run.

Then you'll be sitting there, watching the red light, waiting for it to go green.....and it's just bound to be ages as it's your first run.

This is when you will totally forget where all the bends are, no matter how hard you've studied the course map before hand. I shouldn't worry too much about this, I still ALWAYS forget the bends on a new track 😳. It doesn't matter how many times you've walked it, it looks totally different when your eyes are 3' off the ground rather than almost 6' and you're doing 50mph rather than walking pace.

As far as tips goes, I'd say don't even bother finding your times out until the end. There's a fair chance they'll be carp, and if they are, it'll just be disappointing. It's better to know you're improving - which you'll know yourself anyway, without times.

Make sure your car will pass scrutineering. L7C sprints are not overly strict but they will make sure you have certain safety things like head restraint, decent helmet, overalls, etc. Other sprints can be very strict and they'll check everything, including your docs/paperwork - I got a warning at Goodwood for having a dirty race suit *eek*

Make sure you know what to do if you do go off or have a spin. If you can get going quickly then do so but don't obstruct anyone else and watch out for marshalls who may be running to your assistance not realising you're going to get yourself going again. They'll tell you anything important you need to know in the drivers briefing.

The important thing is to enjoy it and don't be too fussed about the times you get (easier said than done I know). Who knows, as it's your first sprint you may prove to be a latent Senna or something and blitz everyone else. You never know......

Wow....I waffled on a bit there 😳

Getting there.... *smile*

Set unrealistically high goals first time out then beat yourself up for not achieving them 😬.......or you could treat the first event as a learning experience , have some fun and take some satifaction out of taking part *thumbup*

Me -always seem to plump for the first option 😬

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 22

I found my first sprint, which was at Curborough, to be a bit of a rush and consequently did not check the tyre pressures. After the first and what turned out to be the only timed run I was wondering why the handling was a bit 'odd' in the damp (practice had been in the dry) I found that I had 18psi in one rear tyre and 28psi in the other. In my haste to get the car ready I had fitted the spare which I had never checked the pressure 😳. On my first practice run whilst saying to myself take it easy I ended up spinning at the flagpole but at least managed to keep it on the black stuff. The main things I try to do now is to prepare and check that car as far as possible the night before and then to arrive at the venue early.

What class have you entered 🤔 If you want some advice at your first event, where and when to sign on, scrutineering, walking the course etc I am more than happy to help *thumbup*. At the end of the day its great fun and becomes very addictive 😬

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Cheers guys! Some good stuff there - main thing appears to be try and arrive early! I will write a checklist of some of the things mentioned I think...

BTW I'm in Class 5 with an SLR that I'm not really used too *eek*

Chris.

A few practical tips:

- Make sure you have the right paperwork (Licence with Photo, Insurance & MOT certificates & club membership card).

- Remember you need numbers and timing strut.

- Check where the venue is - sounds stupid but I spent about 45mins driving in circles looking for one venue. (Eelmore)

- Take some way of keeping all your kit organised & dry (unless you take a second car in which case you can put it in that) A groundsheet or tarpaulin.

- Take a golf umbrella so you can stay dry in the queue. You can leave it at the startline and collect it when you finish. If its raining hard you will get soaked otherwise.

- Include in your toolbox a decent tyre pressure gauge and pump plus all usual assorted spares and tools.

- You probably don't want to sprint with the fuel tank full (weight). If you plan to run it right down take some spare petrol. I don't - just sprint with half a tank or so, but then I'm not quick.

- Check oil, coolant, brake fluid, tyre pressures and wheel nuts before the start.

- You don't want to find yourself on the starttline with a cold engine. Water will warm up quickly, on a cold day the oil might not. Pay attention to where you are in the schedule and allow time to let the car idle to warm up the oil. (Mine takes 10mins on a cold day)

- Check (thoroughly) everything is removed from the boot. I dented my boot when a block of wood I use to chock the wheels was left in.

- When you walk the course be careful of people saying 'Oh, it's flat through there' - they may not know what they are talking about, or might have a car with much less power, or slicks or whatever!

- A good start off the line is worthwhile (look at 64ft times - they vary by up to 1 second). It's easy to practice (traffic lights on the way). It's about the only thing I can consistently do right.

- Find the organiser at the finish, and thank them for their hard work.

- Make sure there are some cold beers in the fridge for when you get home and a bottle of champagne just in case you win.

Chris,

If you are at the meet on Weds, I'll be happy to run through things with you. I've only been sprinting for 2 years so it is still relatively fresh. All the advice so far is on the button.

Tom

I'll let you know after Llandow 😬 😬

Chris come & say hello in May at Curborough. I will be doing both Saturday & Sunday sprints.

Concur with JonathonG. I had the pleasure of Marshalling the start last year at Mira (slightly downhill at start point). I noted that a lot of time was lost at the start. I think I am right in saying that when the light changes to green does not mean you have to start right then. The clock starts as soon as the timing beam is broken so provided you have not rolled forwarded then allow yourself a few secs to set your self up before accelerating away.

Good luck & Enjoy

Gary

*thumbup* GrannY OrB TuneR *thumbup*

😳 Tweaker Of Fine Granny Orbs ! 😳

*biggrin* Superlight No: 170 *biggrin*

Edited by - GrannY OrB TuneR on 7 Apr 2005 13:03:15

Edited by - GrannY OrB TuneR on 7 Apr 2005 13:10:52

As event organiser I always have a soft spot for novices. I remember only too well what a nervous first meeting I had as a competitor. Don't try too hard you will only overdrive and loose time. If you have any problems on the day the other competitors will ALWAYS help. Failing that I will....

The advice to get there early is good. If you arrive late you are always playing catch up....

I am happy to give advice on driving the course as well (I have driven it a few times !).

Try to relax and enjoy the day. If you can show a steady improvement over your 4 runs then you will have succeeded (whatever the winners time is)

See you in May

Ex Chairman Roger

Not to put a downer on sprinting but I found it a little too much hanging around for the very small amount of time on track. Don’t get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed it but after one season I felt that track days were a better bet. The problem was that you drive 150 miles up the motorway for three minutes on track.

Anyway, do it at least once is my suggestion, you will have a blast. Great event as with all L7 club stuff.

Chris

Suggest you look at this link here which should give you all the info you need.

Come and find me at one of the events, I'm fairly well known (usually to be spotted round the butty van after my first practice run 😬 😬 😬 😬.

Most of all its about enjoying yourself and using you car for what it was intended *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

Agree with the time on track compared with a track day ...BUT....and its a BIG BUT.....you're not Competing at a track day which is the difference I really enjoy..I do a lot of track days too...also the day flies by really quickly due to the very slick organisation at all the many events I've done and the good humoured and friendly "banter"..... 😬 *thumbup*....

Can't wait for Longcross..never been before and it looks a real challenge *thumbup*

Gordy

By HD do you mean the pukka roll bar padding 🤔

if so and your tillet headrest, rests up against it then I don't think so *confused*

if there is a gap then yes you probably do

I am not a scrutineer but that is how I interpret the reg *confused*

rob *confused*

Dannyboy - for racing in a Caterham sponsored series you need a head restraint - but for Sprints or some other classes (750MC etc) you don't. You'll be fine in a sprint.

There was an issue with a tillet seat in a race a couple of years back that led Caterham to issuing a tech note advising that this might fail. The requirement is nothing to do with cage or FIA bar, it's more that the tillet top is not necessarily strong enough to cope with the impact.

See ya later!

G for Geoff

GTD sorry to correct you but head restraints became Mandatory for Sprints and Hillclimbs last year. The top of a tillet is too flexible and therefore needs the bracket attached to the cage/fia bar to comply.

As Rob has siad my brother resurrected the postings a couple of weeks ago, worth a read. Scrutineers were not overally strict on it last year but they will be now *thumbup*

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*