Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear Brake Hose

JasonL

I understand some have fitted braided rear brake hoses rather than the solid one supplied by Caterham and wondered where is recommended to get this. What should I be asking for and what spec. I know I need around 2m.

Thanks

Jason

Viper Blue Superlight R300 being delivered 14/04/05

Answer to why. ..

The floating rear Sierra caliper actually means a small movement taken up by the pipe for every time you use the brakes.

This is not what solid copper hose was designed for.

The solid copper seems to cope very well on some seriously high milers though...

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

> but doesn't the outside part of the caliper move and the inner only move as the

> pad is used up?

There's a bit that bolts to the ear and doesn't move. Then there's anpother bit which has the piston in it (and so has the hydraulic connection to it). The piston pushes out of this bit to apply the inside pad and the whole cylinder bit slides inwards (sometimes) and the claw shaped bit over the top drags the outside pad towards the disc.

So the hydraulic pipe is flexed a mm or so everytime the brakes are applied and also moves 10mm or so as the outside pad wears from new to trashed.

Solid copper pipe is not designed to do this, it will work harden from constant movement and then fracture. This is dreadful engineering and I wouldn't build a car this way. I'm sure Ford never built Sierras with solid pipes to these calipers. But as said above there are many cars built this way doing serious mileage without problems so make your own choice *cool*