Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Making an air filter cutout

owlscastle

I am sure this has been covered before, but I cant find the answer.

What is the best tool to make a filter cutout with in an ally bonnet?

Any other tips appreciated, or assistance for that matter, near Horsham ( Beer provided)

Ritchie

If it were me then I would definitely use a dremel, you need close control for obvious reasons. When I fitted my powerspeed 4.2.1 I used a dremel and just took my time plus plenty of masking tape on surrounding areas!!

Phil S7SVN

Die grinder, the only professional tool to use. Just make sure you use the correct burrs.

If you are in striking distance, drive over and I'll do it for you... if you favour a dremel, ask your dentist to do it for you!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Edited by - John Howe on 6 Apr 2005 14:14:14

Ok, I used a dremel to cut my exhaust cutout. It works fine if you are careful...HOWEVER, it is easy to slip or have the blade catch and then you run the risk of cutting where you did not intend to. ☹️

After this experience I used a pair of aviation tin snips to make the bonnet cut out. This works well and is easy to control. However...the shears leave a small crease in the ali. This is not really a big deal and I have some piping over the edge that covers this.

SO, if I was to do either of these again, I'd get a nibbler. There are drill powered ones that folks say work well and there are airpowered versions, but these cost a bit more.

ELV15 - Tom in California -

200hp duratec powered 2003 Clubsport Build pics here: here

I have a cheapo 'Dremel'. It cost £12 from local supermarket and is very good for such jobs. As previously stated, plenty of masking tape to mark the hole onto and cardboard round the outer area in casethe cutter 'grabs' and sets off on its own. Tight grip. Both hands 😳 😳

its only a game.........

http://daftlardycars.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/